Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ask Me Anything (A Sophomore at Rice)

Replies to: Ask Me Anything (A Sophomore at Rice)

• tropicalslushiestropicalslushies Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    I did not attend SOAR. I am unsure about it. Sorry. :(
  • jjjjjjjjj492jjjjjjjjj492 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    How difficult would it be to double major across completely opposite schools, for example Biochemistry and Political Science, is that too unreasonable to attempt?
  • mallorypikemallorypike Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    @tropicalslushies Is it true that if we get x amount from a scholarship, then Rice will take x amount away from their financial aid package?
  • livinginLAlivinginLA Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    @mallorypike In speaking with the financial aid office that is correct to an extent. They will first take it off of the work study and expected contribution. So if that combined for you is $10,000 than you can get up to that amount in scholarships. If you go over than they take it off of the grant and lower their amount.
    So my D was admitted ED. Should we attend Owl days? What is the benefit? Asking because today is the first day I had heard of it (from this thread) and need to make travel arrangements fairly quick.
  • wandlminkwandlmink Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    My D was also admitted ED, but I have suggested we pass since she has already visited campus twice, once for Rice Discovery. I think the focus of Owl Days is to maximize the yield on admitted students. But if I am wrong and there is some other benefit to ED applicants who are already committed, I hope someone will let us know.
    My D has only visited once. I am all for her going to owl days but her prom is that Saturday. It would make for a tight schedule as we would be coming from oos. I would really love to hear more about it.
  • mallorypikemallorypike Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Man the rice financial aid policy kind of sucks then :(
    edited March 2016
    @mallorypike I found this on another thread. This is from the Rice website and outside scholarships will decrease your aid in this order.

Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized)*
    Federal Perkins Loan*
    Federal Work-study*
    Rice Tuition Grant
    Other institutional need-based grants/scholarships
    State and Federal grants*

I don't think it's that bad of a policy however I would love it if we could apply scholarship money to living expenses as well as room and board.
  • RedpandabearRedpandabear Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    How well do Rice undergraduates do in securing internships and full time employment with investment banking, private equity and venture capital firms? Especially compared with UT Austin's McCombs school of business which offers a Finance - Investment Banking concentration?
  • theodorecruztheodorecruz Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Hi! How is Rice's History department considered? Also, what is majoring in Mathematical Economic Analysis like and how different is it from General Economics? Thank you!
  • babz123babz123 Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    Why are you happy at Rice? Could you see yourself at a big state school like UT Austin...why/why not?
  • fun1234fun1234 Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    If you took the new Sat It says the SAT is optional If you took the test at your school and everyone was required to take the essay, but you didn't do well. Should you just send it. Will they consider it or should you just take the ACT test without writing and submit that and hope you do well. Are these Stats good enough 1500 new test It is equivalent to a 700 reading 750 math 680 writing old scoring
  • newjersey17newjersey17 Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    @fun1234 I believe Rice asks that you submit all scores. They will use the highest scores.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,082 Forum Champion
    @livinginLA

>>>
    @mallorypike I found this on another thread. This is from the Rice website and outside scholarships will decrease your aid in this order.

Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized)*
    Federal Perkins Loan*
    Federal Work-study*
    Rice Tuition Grant
    Other institutional need-based grants/scholarships
    State and Federal grants*

I don't think it's that bad of a policy however I would love it if we could apply scholarship money to living expenses as well as room and board.
    <<<<

If you get scholarship money that replaces those top 3 items, then scholarships do apply to living expenses as well as room and board. Living expenses and R&B are included in COA.
This discussion has been closed.