Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

****Rice vs. UT Austin Health Science Honors*****

appleindiaappleindia Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I have been accepted in Rice for biology as well as UT HSS and am debating which college is better for me as a premed student. Both are very prestigious but Rice carries the reputation of an Ivy League school while UT is very large.

Any input would be very appreciated.

Replies to: ****Rice vs. UT Austin Health Science Honors*****

• Zairi786Zairi786 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I would definitely opt for Rice just because of the better quality of education and life and the proximity to MD Anderson if you can afford it. If not, UT HSS is still an awesome way to pursue your medical career. I was wondering if you could possibly post your stats to help others (I'm a Junior so it would be greatly appreciated)
  • appleindiaappleindia Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks for the input!

Stats:
    SAT (old version): 2240
    CR: 800 W: 730 M: 710
    superscored: 2260
    ACT: 34

SAT Bio M: 740
    SAT Math Level 2: 750
    SAT World History: 770

National merit commended scholar

AP: WHAP, HGAP, APUSH, Physics 1, Biology, English lit, English lang, Calculus BC, Stats, Art 2D design, Art Drawing portfolio, IB Visual Arts, European history, Macroeconomics

Extracurricular: Many regional and state awards for art
    Lots of volunteering and some experience shadowing a doctor and a summer job

As you can see, you don't have to be a genius or intern at Harvard or win an international science fair to get into Rice. I think hard work and sincerity in your essays (ex. I wrote how I visited a houston museum and saw rice discoveries there in 8th grade) will help you succeed.

Hope this helps!