Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice Parent Thread

191011121315»

Replies to: Rice Parent Thread

• PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    New student celebrations! Not a lot of information out yet but if you live near one of these locations you might want to save the date!

https://alumni.rice.edu/newstudentcelebrations
  • juststaycooljuststaycool Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I wish there was an Austin event planned for new students. Anyone on this thread from Austin?
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,040 Forum Champion
    edited May 26
    Rice will likely add more events to the schedule as hosts and locales are firmed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they add events in Austin and in various parts of Houston.
    Post edited by Houston1021 on
    Excerpt from President's Leebron's letter to Parents. Alumni etc. re: admissions this year.

"When I last wrote earlier this spring, I shared some of the incredible responses that we received as a result of The Rice Investment. Not only did Rice receive more than 27,000 undergraduate student applications this year, increasing applications by 30% from the year before, but we also saw the incredible impact that The Rice Investment has had with regard to Rice’s reputation nationally and globally. You may recall that we had nearly 15,000 applications just from the United States outside Texas, plus another 4,600 from outside the United States (both U.S. citizens abroad and international students). In the end, we were able to accept only 8.7% of those applicants."
    @juststaycool an Austin event has been added as well as several others. Two are in China! More should be added as the summer progresses.

https://alumni.rice.edu/newstudentcelebrations
    edited June 12
    I thought I'd share that if your student gets allergy shots and is on a maintenance plan, health services can give them their injections. Contact them now for the forms.
    edited June 18
    More new student celebrations have been added, locations are set, and registration is now open. The one in inner loop Houston is at the Huff House on the Rice campus. https://alumni.rice.edu/newstudentcelebrations
  • SriniBellaireSriniBellaire Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello, my son will be starting at Rice coming fall. He and all of us are looking forward to next 4 years of growth. Is O-Week the equivalent of orientation that other big Texas universities have already started? When do kids get to choose their courses?
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 28,092 Senior Member
    Kids register for courses during O-week
    edited June 19
    @SriniBellaire Congratulations on your son's admission to Rice. Unlike the incoming students at other universities in Texas, all of the incoming Rice students attend O Week at the same time. During O Week, the incoming students bond with others in their residential colleges, participate in lots of activities that introduce them to various aspects of Rice, and get lots of academic advising from Peer Academic Advisors and faculty before registering for classes. The O Week advisors provide an incredible O Week experience for the incoming students. The incoming students register for classes near the end of O Week.
    Post edited by Houston1021 on
  • SriniBellaireSriniBellaire Registered User Posts: 2 New Member