Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice Parent Thread

Replies to: Rice Parent Thread

• Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    edited May 2017
    I have not seen a detailed schedule, but Sunday is move in day. I have heard there is lunch with parents and kids and some afternoon programs and then parents are "invited" to leave. If you are flying to Houston, Hobby airport is a lot closer to the Rice campus than Bush airport. Southwest is the major airline serving Hobby while United is the major airline at Bush. Southwest lets each passenger check two bags weighing up to 40 pounds each for free. You could come with 6 full suitcases without paying baggage fees. You would probably be safe booking flights out early evening on the 13th.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,366 Senior Member
    I am a Rice parent "alum" as my Rice student graduated ... wow... 9 years ago! Facebook matches weren't an option then. He filled out the roommate form and Rice did an excellent job of matching roommates. Congrats to all of you! Rice is a great school!
    Unless things have changed, @middlechild, they have a parents event in the afternoon on move in day and that's how they shuttle you away from your kids. Plan to leave that evening.
  • MedSciBudMedSciBud Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    edited May 2017
    @middlechld @Houston1021 - here is the O-week schedule (this is of 2016, but should be the same this year).

http://success.rice.edu/firstyearprograms/oweek/o-week-schedule/

Move in 7am to 11am, lunch 11am to 1245pm, then parents go to new families orientation and students go their way (FAQs clearly state that students will not have time to be with or meet with or shop with parents after this time).

New families orientation ends at 6pm.
  • robotrainbowrobotrainbow Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    My daughter is an incoming junior at rice. Her room mate for her first two years was a diabetic. They had a refrigerator in their room for her. She seemed to do fine at school. So your child will not be the only one there with these concerns.
  • phokiephokie Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Thank you for your input regarding my Type 1 son. He controls it very well and has for many years. It's time for my wife and me to let him go and make his way in the world. Houston21, my son is applying for Urban Immersion this summer. I only know what I read on Rice's website. Sounds like a fun and worthwhile experience.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    We got the information from Rice about the linens package. Has anyone used it? My D may want to decorate her room in her own style.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    Welcome to the new Freshmen!

My son just had an amazing first year experience at Rice if anyone has any questions
    Don't use the linens package. Buy your own. You can get cheap good sheets at bed bath and beyond. Enjoy rice you will love it! It's hard to believe my older son graduated nine years ago!
  • fun1234fun1234 Registered User Posts: 424 Member
    How do you go about getting your insurance approved so you do not need yo buy rice's insurance?
  • livinginLAlivinginLA Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    @fun1234 There was a form to fill out and we needed to send it in by a certain date.
    Right. There will be a way to submit proof of coverage. As an aside, be sure if you happen to have an HMO like Kaiser or something, that you have coverage in Houston. Lots of wonderful docs right off campus. You want to be sure your insurance covers, should you need. My DS shattered his femur on a ski trip his junior year. We were out of town, and the initial surgery was handled where we were. All the follow-up orthopedic care and physical therapy was done right off campus at the medical centers there. We were fortunate that all services were covered by in-network providers.
  • fun1234fun1234 Registered User Posts: 424 Member
    What are absolute musts to have at college? My son is traveling by plane so he won't be able to bring like a printer. If he does not bring one is there a place he can pay to print? What other big items does he absolutely need? I wonder when they match roommates If they keep this in mind and maybe set him up with someone that may have some stuff that he doesn't have.
  • Horde56Horde56 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    We bought my son a printer and a refrigerator when he moved in two years ago. He's hardly used either one. You can print stuff at the library for a few cents per page and it will just get put on his college bill. He hardly ever uses the ethernet adapter we got for his macbook either, he just depends on wifi and it doesn't seem to have been a problem.

Anything he decides he needs later you can just order from Amazon and he can have it delivered to his college in a couple of days. A lot easier than lugging on the plane!
  • MedSciBudMedSciBud Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    edited June 2017
    Deleted