Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cons of Rice University

nonewusernamesnonewusernames Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
So I've submitted to Rice and am anxiously waiting for the results. So I don't get too overexcited (or even worse, let down by rejection), what are some cons or annoying things about Rice?

Replies to: Cons of Rice University

• nonewusernamesnonewusernames Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I posted this in a general forum and realized I should be putting it in this one!

I've submitted to Rice and am anxiously awaiting the results. So I don't get too overexcited or let down by rejection, what are some cons or things that suck about Rice? I know they're hard to find but just humor me
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 533 Forum Champion
    edited November 2017
    The football team struggles. Look up the score in the Stanford game. However, most of the kids at Rice don't give a hoot about the football games anyway.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,211 Senior Member
    LOL! Their football team is not particularly good, no one is afraid of Owls. Seriously, be excited and good luck to you!
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,920 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    It's in Texas.
    ;)
  • Thelma2Thelma2 Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
    No cons about being in Texas! Except the humidity and it's bad in Houston.
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    The weather! Texas is fine! Just hot and humid here in Houston but I still love it here!
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,091 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    You don't get the somewhat unsafe, gritty city experience that Penn, UChicago, and WashU students have the privilege of experiencing.
  • mademoiselle2308mademoiselle2308 Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    edited November 2017
    Houston is miserably hot and muggy most of the year (or maybe it just feels like most of the year).

Also, hurricanes.
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hordes of birds used to flock to Rice in the 70s and 80s, with the mess that you'd expect from such a migration. I'm not sure if this is a problem any more.

https://ricehistorycorner.com/2014/04/28/birds-flock-to-rice-to-die/
  • texaspgtexaspg FC Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,610 Forum Champion
    Very pleasant weather at the moment - 78/60. Except for a couple of cold waves that sweep across the country, this will last into beginning of May. June, July, August, September - can get very hot.
  • TrotskiiTrotskii Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    There aren't many negatives about Rice. It's small, which won't appeal to everyone, and it's in big, sprawling Houston, which is a flat, low-density, new city with little planning and out-of-control outward growth. The areas around Rice are really quite lovely, with many cultural institutions and some urban density, but in general Houston is big and ugly.
  • SrabookwormSrabookworm Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Parking is something that could really use improvement. If you're planning to have a car on campus, you'll have to pay quite a lot and park far away from the colleges, especially as an underclassman.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 533 Forum Champion
    Rice is hiring a new football coach from Stanford (offensive coordinator) so maybe this "con"won't be one much longer.
  • robotrainbowrobotrainbow Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    Ok rice has been wonderful for my daughter, but cons: They don't have eno
  • robotrainbowrobotrainbow Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    Cons, they don't have enough housing. There is a lottery system and, even though you will LOVE your residential college you may have to move off campus your junior year and the neighborhood right around rice is very posh and not full of great student rentals. But then if you take advantage of their great study abroad system like my daughter did you might miss out on things like the incredible bonding experience Rice went through last semester with surviving Harvey and then Houston winning it's first championship. So basically the negative is Rice will make you never want to leave campus.