right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Rice Class of 2023 ED Discussion Thread

awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot 3834 replies67 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,901 Senior Member
Hey, all! It's almost time for college app season to start, so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread!

344 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rice Class of 2023 ED Discussion Thread

• sumguysumguy 99 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Checking in. International Rice EDer here.

Has anyone looked at the Rice supplements from last year? with question 2 (With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study.), must it be specifically tailored to rice or can I write a general why engineering essay(assuming that I'm applying to George R. Brown school of engineering)? The prompt seems to imply the latter but I'm not sure.

Also, should you talk about the school (engineering) or the specific major(eg. mechanical engineering) in question 2?
    · Reply · Share
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot 3834 replies67 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,901 Senior Member
    I would think that it'd be good to write about the major in the context of the school. And definitely talk about Rice specifically!
    · Reply · Share
  • RiceElecRiceElec 4 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Your reply is really helpful, I just wanted to add on that there are a few classes non-major students an take in the architecture and music schools. For instance, Architecture for Non-Architects and (Music) Theory for Non-Majors. These are mostly meant to be additional elective classes and might not satisfy university requirements, but do offer students the ability to take a class in a different area of interest.
    · Reply · Share
  • Houston1021Houston1021 1030 replies11 discussionsForum Champion Rice Posts: 1,041 Forum Champion
    edited July 2018
    Yes @RiceElec thanks for the clarification. Those classes are great for enrolled students to take. To apply to the Architecture School or Music School in order to major a prospective student must also submit a portfolio or audition, and the number of students admitted to those specialties is relatively low. https://arch.rice.edu/apply/undergraduate https://music.rice.edu/undergraduate/audition-dates-requirements
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 504 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 511 Member
    Here is a heads up on the Rice application - there is an essay that does not show up until you fill in the academics section of the Rice questions on the common app. It is set up this way because there are unique questions that appear if you are applying to architecture. But it could surprise someone if they are just glancing at the essays without filling out the basic data first.

Here is the essay question:

Rice is lauded for creating a collaborative atmosphere that enhances the quality of life for all members of our campus community. The Residential College System is heavily influenced by the unique life experiences and cultural traditions each student brings. What personal perspectives would you contribute to life at Rice? (500 word limit)
    · Reply · Share
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot 3834 replies67 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,901 Senior Member
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought they had done away with that essay, and I was confused.
    · Reply · Share
  • sumguysumguy 99 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Has anyone else finished their application and is just waiting to turn it in?
    · Reply · Share
    I still have to do all the writing... RIP
    · Reply · Share
  • GT DadGT Dad 36 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Has anyone seen the admitted or enrolled student standardized test score ranges for Rice's class of 2022? Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    It's not up on the most recent CDS :/
    · Reply · Share
  • malibugirlmalibugirl 46 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    @GTDAD According to the O-Week video, it is stated that the avg SAT is 1510 and ACT is 33 for the class of 2022.
    · Reply · Share
  • GT DadGT Dad 36 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Great, thanks. Guess we'll need to wait a little longer for the ranges.
    · Reply · Share
  • TXRunningMomTXRunningMom 284 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    Can someone clarify? I thought Rice offered an Early Decision (binding) and an Early Action (non binding). My daughter's application portal lists her as Regular Decision. She thought she applied for Early Action (she does not want to limit her choices so she did not chose ED). Is there such a thing as Early Action that is non binding? And, also, does it really take till April 1st to hear back on Regular Decision?
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Sunny66Sunny66 271 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    "Is there such a thing as Early Action that is non binding?" Not at Rice. They have ED (binding) and RD (non-binding).

"And, also, does it really take till April 1st to hear back on Regular Decision?" Yes, about then -- maybe late March.
    · Reply · Share