Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice University Class of 2023 RD Thread

Replies to: Rice University Class of 2023 RD Thread

• smagmitsmagmit Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @zenco77, Congrats on being accepted to Rice. Hope they will be more generous with financial aid for your daughter My daughter is also a Rice-Hopeful. She is a junior now and has similar test scores to your daughter. But we are aware that test scores are not everything. What kind of EC s did your daughter do? Are you from TX?
  • anonymous522083anonymous522083 Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I got waitlissted
    any chance I get off of the waitlist
  • GedeonPGedeonP Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Is there a Facebook chat or some other way of communicating with admitted students?
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    edited April 4
    @GedeonP There is a Facebook Group Rice University Class of 2023. It has over 500 members. You have to send a request to join and they verify that you are an admitted student before letting you in the group. Administrators are Corey, Dani and Andrea
    Post edited by Houston1021 on
  • jmeryllmanjmeryllman Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @zenco77 just to give an update. Our appeal worked. My daughter was granted the Rice Investment Benefits. Actually, not sure if it was the appeal or the system just caught up.
  • marstudentmarstudent Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited April 4
    @jmeryllman Since I am having a similar problem, do you mind helping me with explaining what you did after you got your unfavorable aid package?
    edited April 4
    @marstudent we called them, and they told us how much they calculated our income plus assets. Then we were advised to send them a letter of appeal explaining why we feel it is wrong. We sent them an email with why we felt we needed the aid and clarifying some info like why we had certain amount of savings. We didn't get any resolution from that, we were basically told to wait. Our last update to them was sending a copy of our 2018 tax return as a supplement to appeal. This was a week before RD came out. We checked Esther last night and the financial aid info changed. BTW, this was all thru email. We just attached photos of our documents. I hope this helps.
  • marstudentmarstudent Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @jmeryllman Thank you! Just one more question though, was it an official appeal form you submitted? Like for special circumstances or did you just type out a justification of why the aid was necessary?
    @marstudent it was just an email. Typed it as an email. No forms.
  • MarshRiceMarshRice Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Accepted! Go Owls!

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1560 (one test)
    SAT II: Bio M 720, Bio E 720, Lit 720, Math II 800
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.88
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Bio (5), Eng Lang (5), Phys 1 (5), Calc AB (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP German, dual enrollment science, AP Chem, AP Stat, general English and history

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Internationally awarded pianist (I won’t name specific awards for privacy)

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): help run a nonprofit (board rep), musician (piano, guitar, and violin)

Job/Work Experience: Research (about 700 hours combined, got a letter from my PI), community government representative (I gave a speech on TV)

Volunteer/Community service: hospice volunteer, peer tutor

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Physics teacher: 8/10
    History teacher: 10/10
    Counselor: 7/10

Additional rec (my PI): 6/10

Intended Major: Public Policy
    State (if domestic applicant): Pennsylvania
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Reflection -

Strengths: I thought my essays really reflected Rice’s core value of community.
    Weaknesses: GPA, lack of major awards related to my major
  • zenco77zenco77 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    So, after much gnashing of teeth over Excel spreadsheets, communicating with a terrific Rice Aid Advisor over 3 emails (daughter) and 1 from me, 2 phone calls, we're not going to be able to afford Rice, though daughter was admitted. She's heart broken (parents too by extension) to be sure, but logic/reason/responsibility should prevail. Likely going to A&M. We explored Rice ROTC and gap year (son is in college next year) but large federal or private loans will not play a staring roll in any college choice.

Our (horribly misnamed) Effective Family Contribution is $53k. Some reason Rice shows it as $63k. Regardless, I printed out the EFC worksheet and did it by hand to understand EFC values and see if it ends up at $53k as well...it does...almost to the dollar. Daughter did the calcs with me too to check our manual arithmetic against each other. Her aid package was Rice Work and Rice Grant ($5k total) nothing from Rice Investment since we don't have demonstrated need. Apparently owning your house outright is not a need since, "Housing equity" is definitely more than just a variable on their decision, as during my call, Rice Advisor did say home LOC against my equity is a way help to pay. Not happening...neither is "shorting" our retirement contributions for sake of school.

No doubt she would have had a greater education (biomedical engineering) at Rice than others she's been accepted to. Regardless, after 4 years, a driven and self starting biomed engineering student will land very well (God willing) with either Rice or A&M tutelage (esp in Texas ;-))

Good luck to all others attending! Wishing you and your children well and that they prosper in and after Rice.
  • Eyeful_TowerEyeful_Tower Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Anyone on waitlist been contacted yet?
  • CriedEmersonCriedEmerson Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Accepted transfer. act 31, 24 in math. community college 3.9 gpa. three ECs (foreign language, tutoring, and religious studies), all of them local. no state or national awards. no major awards at all actually. no APs in high school. essays came off sort of sob-storyish. applied with need for full aid.

Baffled as to how I got in and would really like to ask admissions...
  • court16court16 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    hey so I am waitlisted and just logged into my portal... noticed the date I sent my LOCI changed from the date I actually sent it in to 3/26, when decisions came out. Probably means nothing but do y’all know anything?
  • MrMonkMrMonk Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    My LOCI still has the real date I sent it