Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

high suicidal rates rumor

2»

Replies to: high suicidal rates rumor

• KrazyKowKrazyKow Registered User Posts: 1,526 Senior Member
    I go to my boyfriend's house today and mention that I am considering going to Rice. His sister (who goes to UT:Austin) replies, "doesn't Rice have a really high suicide rate?" and then their dad says he heard the same thing. Yet they dont' know if it's true at all.
  • jenskate1jenskate1 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    I really think it's just a myth, one that many selective schools seem to have to deal with. If it's a major concern of yours, call the Rice Counseling center and ask them about it.
  • Death_HammerDeath_Hammer Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    My physics teacher told me that two people committed suicide when she was at Rice. That was over six years ago so take it with a grain of salt.
  • vg1026vg1026 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    I've been at Rice for three years, and I have never heard of any suicides. When I was at Vanderbilt for undergrad, however, there were 2 suicides. Vanderbilt faculty is exceptional and extremely supportive. Rice faculty is alot more into their own research, and some of the most distinguished faculty members could really care less for you.
  • jenskate1jenskate1 Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    I don't know vg - I've have found every faculty member at Rice more than accessible, and they all seem genuinely caring and interested in my opinions and needs. Every prof I've had seems at least as interested in teaching as in research. Then again, I never went to Vanderbilt, but I really think Rice faculty is one of Rice's greatest strengths.
  • vg1026vg1026 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    Rice faculty is overall definitely very supportive and accessible, especially compared to other top 20s. Vanderbilt faculty is more "family like" in my experience. I would have lunch or dinner with the deans and their family or go to any professor's house for weekend. They would always treat us too. What I mean is there is alot of interaction outside the academic sphere.
2»
This discussion has been closed.