Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm probably going to get killed for this...

Devil May CryDevil May Cry Registered User Posts: 1,351 Senior Member
edited March 2005 in Rice University
Okay, I have to ask this. I am black(lol) and my father taught at Rice for 6 years and also got his Phd there. Moreover, after a while my parents split and I am in a struggling single parent home. Now, will the fact that my father contributed so much of the school help me a lot? All my friends at school think I am a shoe in, but I am not so sure. My stats are as good as some ppl admitted interim, but I just dont know.
Post edited by Devil May Cry on

Replies to: I'm probably going to get killed for this...

• ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    so you got heritage and a father who is a teacher there. If your stats are above average, you should be all set. (see, you didn't get killed)
  • Devil May CryDevil May Cry Registered User Posts: 1,351 Senior Member
    uhm....my stats are NOT above average for a RICE applicant. Rice can give any person admission depending on the circumstance, so...

i.e. they accepted my friend with a 1300 and rejected my other friend with a 1500. They did not even defer him.
  • CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,428 Senior Member
    In response to your question of how much your dad will help you, I don't think that JUST because your dad studied/worked there, you will get in. I believe you also need to have some other wonderful things about you to get accepted. However, it'd certainly help and can't hurt. Good luck.
  • nspedsnspeds - Posts: 5,382 Senior Member
    I agree with icymoon, a father working at Rice is not something to hinge you application on, your should be performing well in other areas.
  • Devil May CryDevil May Cry Registered User Posts: 1,351 Senior Member
    agreed.

thanks.
  • jprencipejprencipe Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    Give us some numbers. Rice may accept 1300's and reject 1500's, but I can tell you the averages favor 1500's, by a huge margin.

Even at schools like Rice, 1550/800/800/800 4.0 students may get rejected, but it's infrequent, from the patterns I've seen on this forum. Maybe if you're talking about Harvard, that type of student is a more common applicant, and therefore a more common reject. I also noticed that in the EA decisions on the Harvard forum.

Colleges are looking for love of learning, and most 1550/800/800/800 4.0 students are going to show significant evidence of that. Usually, that will show up elsewhere in the application, usually in the recommendations. After all, applicants like that didn't gain their profiles by hating school. And if they do hate school, that will end up showing through, and they will probably be rejected.

Then, of course, extracurriculars and essays come into play. However, as long as a student with stats and recommendations as mentioned above does a few interesting things outside of school, with some degree of accomplishment, they'll usually be admitted (provided the essay is at least tolerable).

This is from what I've noticed on these forums, and what I've read in books on college admissions. I could be mistaken, but I feel what I'm saying here makes sense in the context of my experiences.

Joey
  • smartguy86smartguy86 . Posts: 64 Junior Member
    bump................
This discussion has been closed.