Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Family Weekend

2»

Replies to: Family Weekend

• MSmom&dadMSmom&dad Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    A quick thank you to all who gave us info about places to eat. We had a great time. Ate dinner Thursday evening at Shiva. We were really impressed. Excellent curries, not at all oily, great cuts of meat. One of the best curry meals I've ever had and as a transplanted Brit used to great curries in the UK that's saying something. Prices are very moderate and recommend this place to all curry fans. Friday lunch at Rajin Cajun. The etouffee and red beans and rice were both good, That evening we ate at Benjy's. Great food, a little pricey, but it was a nice night out. Saturday was the pregame bbq.

We had a great time and would recommend the family weekend to all on the fence next year. Too bad Rice lost to Vandy at football, but that was a minor hiccup in a great visit.
  • OttolineOttoline Registered User Posts: 947 Member
    Glad you had a great time, MSmom&dad -- I still remember last year's Families Weekend -- counting the days till we could be with our son, see him in class, go to an enviro event and meet some of the wonderful "Rice Moms" at the Pavilion. Interestingly, I found the good bye after FW harder than the move-in farewell. Watching him exchange hellos with friendly students and profs on campus, getting to see where he studied in Fondren, just seeing how comfortable he was made us so happy -- but then having to say good bye hit me hard. It was all real now -- no more SAT's, applications, decisions ... he was exactly where he belonged. And it was time for us to head home.
  • MSmom&dadMSmom&dad Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    As the other half of MS mom and Dad, I wanted to add that the best part of the trip for me was how happy DD is. We sat in on two classes which were terrific (and one was intro physics). She is so engaged and busy, and we couldn't be more pleased. Rice is looking to be the perfect fit we hoped it would be.
  • BaystateNutmegBaystateNutmeg Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    MilWDad - I laughed when I read your comment about someone from the "cold blue north" being surprised that your child was considering school in Texas. We still laugh when we say that our son is in Texas! (We're in New England). Yesterday, I sent him a text to say that it was snowing in October. He texted back that they were all at the new pool in the rec center (an outdoor pool). Go and visit in April - you won't want to leave.
2»
This discussion has been closed.