Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How does Rutgers look at sports in HS?

PaRiAnPaRiAn Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
edited March 2006 in Rutgers University
Ive heard that Rutgers generates an index score based on SAT and gpa in HS. But if also heard from someone else that in pharmacy school this is not true. I just want to know how you put in sports into your application. I have played tennis my freshman and sophomore years, and right now we are in the try-outs phase in my junior year. The problem is this year i might get cut because im not really THAT great, i havent played at all this year, and there are a lot of good sophomores and freshman coming in. Not to mention the coach is cutting people (which he didnt do the last two years). Anyhow so i might get cut this year, and therefore i would not have a letter to present to the college to show that I played tennis my junior year. First of all is this bad? The only other "sport" i do is skiiing and thats the ski club not the ski team (its not competative in other words).

How are sports presented to Rutgers. I understand when you do your online application you put in what sports/ clubs you participated in, correct? But how do you send in the letters? And lets say that i put in that i played tennis junior year (because even if i get cut i will have played 3 weeks) but i do not have a letter to back that up would that be bad?

Any information regarding sports would be appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by PaRiAn on

Replies to: How does Rutgers look at sports in HS?

• fallenangelfallenangel Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    There's an honor system involved with filling out applications. Technically, you could say you've volunteered 100 hours of your time at a nursing home when in actuality you've only dedicated about half of that. Colleges wouldn't really know unless you asked someone from the home to write you a rec. Don't quote me on it because personally, it's not worth the risk.

Basically, the point I'm trying to make is you don't have to prove that you were on a sports team by mailing in your letter. Rutgers will take your application as it is. DON'T LIE because it's not worth it. Rutgers has a 62% acceptance rate (according to either Princeton Review or Peterson's). On the application there's a spot where you can put awards & such that you've earned (I think...I feels like ages since I've applied, lol). If you didn't earn a letter then don't put it down. Playing a sport is good, but not everyone is athletic. I think it's more important to show that you've been involved. You don't just show up for school and go home at the end of the day.

Sorry for the long reply. I hope I helped. Good luck! And just out of curiosity: You don't get your letters until junior year? My school does it at the end of the player's first year.

Just some more SENIOR-ly advice: Keep your grades up! Lol.
  • PaRiAnPaRiAn Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Yeah we get our letters at the end of each year two but the last two years i havent been able to make it to the end of the season dinner where the letter are handed out and the last two years i kind of didnt care about them.

What im wondering is: Can i put down that i played tennis junior year even if i didnt get a letter? Because even if i get cut i would have played around 3 weeks and thats a pretty long time to dedicated to a two and half month season.

And btw im trying for pharmacy school, which im pretty sure doesnt have a 62% acceptance rate.
This discussion has been closed.