right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Only applying to SDSU

OhHeyLadyOhHeyLady 3 replies2 threads New Member
edited September 18 in San Diego State University
My daughter is a senior and she only wants to attend SDSU (mine and my husband's alma mater). She had a bad semester in 10th grade and her CSU GPA is now 3.43 (10 - 11). (She thought she only wanted to attend a community college first until last year). She is currently taking 3 concurrent enrollment classes, will take 3 more spring 2021, and has already completed 11 transferable college units and 4 non-transferable units. By the time she graduates she will have completed 31 transferable college units. I believe she will be applying as a Communications Major. SDSU is not our local CSU.

Her backup plan is to move to San Diego and attend a local community college for a year and then try to transfer in as a junior.

I know her admission chances at SDSU are low. Any thoughts from anyone in the know? Thanks!
edited September 18
14 replies
Post edited by Gumbymom on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Only applying to SDSU

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    edited September 18
    Average CSU GPA for admitted students in 2019 was a 3.97 and 2020 data not yet available. Since she is not local, then her chances are not great especially with the CSU’s being test blind this admission cycle. GPA is going to be the major factor in the admission decisions along with HS major prep class grades although her HS course rigor looks very good.

College admissions is going to be very unpredictable this admission cycle. Also HS students change their mind often, so it might be worth making some effort to have her apply to a couple other schools like CSU San Marcos, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fullerton and her local CSU just in case.

I would say that if she is content with attending a community college and transferring as a Junior, then at least she has a backup plan. Although local CC students get priority in the transfer process, it is still not a guarantee.

In 2018, SDSU had 1018 applicants for the Communication Studies major and admitted 412 so the acceptance rate was 40% acceptance rate. Like all CSU’s, SDSU will rank the applicant by their major so it will really depend upon how she ranks with the other Communication majors.

Best of luck to her.
    edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10566 replies74 threads Senior Member
    She may want to also apply to Northridge.
    Remember that rents in San Diego are high.

None of the SD County Community Colleges have on-campus housing, but may be able to help refer to local apartment complexes.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhHeyLadyOhHeyLady 3 replies2 threads New Member
    Thank you for your honest input. We live in Mammoth Lakes, a small resort town, so she really wants to go for a big school away from here. I think I will encourage her to apply to a few CSU's in case she changes her mind.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 18
    @OhHeyLady: CSU Bakersfield looks like your local CSU based on the service area matrix:

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/freshman/documents/csulocaladmission-serviceareas.pdf

I do not blame her for wanting something different but growing up in Mammoth, must have been an incredible experience. My family has been going to the area on our camping vacations for 30 years and loved the time we have spent there. So many great memories.

I guess the grass is greener....

The largest Cal states based on student enrollment are as follows:
    CSU Fullerton
    CSU Long Beach
    San Diego State
    San Francisco State
    San Jose State
    Sacramento State

Best of luck to her and hopefully she heeds everyone’s advice.
    edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
    Update - My daughter submitted her CSU apply application this week. When we went to submit it, the program caught that my daughter was re-taking a college class, it had us go back and change the "D" grade to "RP" which helped raise her GPA. She applied as a Communication major.

GPA - 3.84
    a-g classes - 30.5 years
    College units completed: 22 units
    In progress - 10 units
    Planned for spring - 8 units

She still only wants to attend SDSU, but she did apply to CSU Long Beach also. Her stats now seem like she may have more of a chance. What do you all think?
    · Reply · Share
    For SDSU 2020 admissions, General Communications at 868 applicants and admitted 383 which makes it a 44% acceptance rate.

Although her GPA is below the average Campus GPA, she is within range.

For CSULB, the average 2019 admit GPA for Communications was 3.83 so she is on target with her GPA.

CSULB is using a revised Index to rank applicants this year since test scores are not a consideration. Since there is no historical data for this index, it is difficult to determine what will be competitive.

The CSULB Index for CSULB ranking is calculated as follows:

(College Preparatory Grade Point Average* X 200) + (500 x HS Math Subject GPA) + (500 x HS English GPA).

As long as she has a community college as a backup, applying to 2 schools only in this highly unpredictable admissions year is going to be challenging.
    · Reply · Share
  • bbuncebbunce 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Gumbymom, how would a person link to the admissions statistics by major you reference above? Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
    @bbunce. See my PM and it is 2019 data. 2020 data not listed.
    · Reply · Share
  • makeupyourmindmakeupyourmind 39 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I'm glad your daughter followed her dream and applied to SDSU. It is a tough school to get admitted, I know because this is my third time applying! About her moving to San Diego and taking classes there, it is a great idea because they preference local applications BUT only if they take ALL their college classes at a local college. Since she took come classes already, this may not work for her. I would suggest you call and talk to an admission counselor. Good luck to ya'll.
    · Reply · Share
  • JimQPublicJimQPublic 60 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I grew up down the road from @OhHeyLady (several decades ago) and I remember the dilemma of which Cal State to attend when the closest one is 4+ hours drive away.

Does CSU give any sort of "local preference" when there is no local campus?

Good luck to her daughter. A lot of kids in my day wished for Cal Poly SLO but started at Cuesta college. They wanted the beach but not the big city.
    · Reply · Share
    Our "local" CSU is actually CSU Bakersfield.
    · Reply · Share
    @JimQPublic: The Cal states all have a “local” CSU based on service area even though some HS’s and CC’s are really not the close. Non-Impacted campuses will consider all CA HS’s and CC’s local for admission purposes:

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/freshman/documents/csulocaladmission-serviceareas.pdf
    · Reply · Share
    @OhHeyLady:

@makeupyourmind is correct that if your D wants guaranteed admission, she would have had to take all CC courses at a local San Diego CC. The TAG program makes this a requirement.

She will still get priority if the majority of her CC credits are from a local SD CC but she does not get the TAG guarantee.

If you apply to a major in the TAG pathway, you may qualify for guaranteed admission if you are a local SDSU admissions-area applicant with the following:

-Have not attempted any college course work from any college outside SDSU's local admission area community colleges and therefore have completed 100% of your transferable units at one or more of SDSU's local community colleges or from Palomar or MiraCosta community colleges and apply for a program that is not offered at CSU San Marcos.
    -Meet the following five admission eligibility requirements (for more information on how to meet the minimum requirements and the timeline refer to the Transfer Admission Minimum -Requirements):
    60 Transferable Semester Units
    General Education
    Major Preparation
    Grade Point Average
    Prior SDSU Coursework
    · Reply · Share