right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

San Diego State: Chances?????

JaneausteenJaneausteen 1 replies2 threads New Member
SDSU is in my local area and my calculated GPA after putting in my courses is a 4.04 GPA. My major is Biology ( which is impacted). Would my chances increased if I applied as a biochemistry major? I know my GPA is good but I also know that are bunches of other students applying to San Diego State.
edited October 1
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: San Diego State: Chances?????

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    edited October 1
    All majors are impacted but Biology is the the most applied major at SDSU.

2020 admit numbers are not yet available but for 2019 there were 8032 applicants and 2367 admits so a 29% acceptance rate. Average admitted GPA (not major specific) was 3.97 so it makes your GPA competitive.

Biochem has 1562 Biochem applicants and 591 admits so a 38% acceptance rate.

Apply to your 1st choice major either Biology or Biochemistry. Being local gives your priority. You will be compared to all applicants within each major so there is no way to determine where you stand.

Best of luck.
    edited October 1
    · Reply · Share
  • NCalRentNCalRent 6550 replies14 threads Senior Member
    you have a good shot but, as you note, this won't be a typical year.

I'd also apply to CSULB, UCR and UCSC - probably San Marcos and Fullerton too.

good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • JaneausteenJaneausteen 1 replies2 threads New Member
    Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • Bre_CarreonBre_Carreon 2 replies1 threads New Member
    If you're 100% local (never attended college anywhere outside of San Diego) and going to Mesa, Miramar, or City you're pretty much guaranteed to get in, especially with that GPA.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    @Bre_Carreon: OP is a Freshman applicant not a Transfer so being local has priority but not a 100% guarantee but pretty close.
    · Reply · Share