right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

what are a-g courses?

zaratakszarataks 4 replies3 threads New Member
edited October 16 in San Diego State University
Hi im currently a senior in highschool that is applying to sdsu out of state, I was wondering if somebody could please explain to me a-g courses because I have never hear about them before and I am very confused on the "college prepatory elective" part. Thanks
edited October 16
8 replies
Post edited by Gumbymom on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: what are a-g courses?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31317 replies532 threads Forum Champion
    edited October 16
    A-G courses are basically required core courses that have to be completed by end of Senior to qualify for Cal state and UC admissions.

Here are the SDSU/Cal state a-g courses needed to apply: https://admissions.sdsu.edu/freshmen/apply/a-g_courses

Pay particular attention to Section F which requires a year long course in Visual/Performing arts. Many OOS applicants are not aware of this requirement.

On the CSU application, you will be asked to categorize your HS courses based on the a-g categories. If you are not sure which category to place some classes, you can post here for more help.

Category G College Prep electives can be fulfilled by an extra year of any of the a-f courses beyond the minimum listed or other classes below:

Some examples of other College Prep Electives include: Psychology, Economics, Computer Science, Sociology, Journalism.
    edited October 16
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 85298 replies761 threads Senior Member
    edited October 16
    If you are unsure of a course classification (or if it counts in any a-g category), you can look up various California high schools at https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist to see if they have similar courses and what a-g category they are in.

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide has descriptions of what each category covers.
    edited October 16
    · Reply · Share
  • zaratakszarataks 4 replies3 threads New Member
    thank you both so much! I appreciate it
    · Reply · Share
  • zaratakszarataks 4 replies3 threads New Member
    let's say I have taken a visual performing arts class every year of high school, would I put the other 3 under college preparatory because I did more than the minimum?
    · Reply · Share
    There is only a minimum 1 year for VPA and for the College Prep electives, so you can put 2 more courses under the VPA and 1 course under the College Prep OR split up with 2 and 2. It really does not matter as long as you list and complete the minimum courses in each category.

Since test scores will not be a consideration for this admission cycle, a greater emphasis will be placed on the # of a-g courses taken beyond the minimum along with HS course rigor.

What is your intended major and as an OOS applicant you do realize you will be a full pay student at SDSU?
    · Reply · Share
  • afahrerafahrer 41 replies7 threads Junior Member
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was also confused with the A-G courses (especially the G category) as I also am OOS. Last year, I took 3 online classes that my school offered but they were not honors (Intro to Business 1 and 2, Personal Finance 1). These would go under the "G" category, correct? Do you have to list all the courses taken in grades 10-11? Would it hurt the UC GPA since these were not honors classes?
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 16
    @afahrer: See my PM regarding your question.

Just a General note that OOS HS designated Honors courses do not get the extra weighting in the CSU or UC GPA calculation. Only AP/IB courses will get the extra Honors points in the calculation for OOS applicants.

The maximum Honors points for AP/IB classes taken 10-11th grades is 8 semesters or 4 year long classes. Anything beyond those 8 semesters will not impact the CSU capped weighted GPA. Maximum CSU GPA is 4.4.
    edited October 16
    · Reply · Share