Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Applying to SDSU: An Angry but Mostly Rational Rant

fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
edited November 2007 in San Diego State University
So, I'm rather upset right now, and I'd just like to share with you all my pain. I've applied to SDSU for the fall 2008 semester as a freshman. And, they won't accept my application as is, because, of all things, I am lacking a full year of art in one single discipline. What bull **** oney!!

I took 1 semester of painting and 1 semester of jewelry (a year), and I was under the impression that when this university required 1 full year course OR 2 semester courses in art, I thought that the 2 semester courses only had to be in the same discipline (i.e. visual OR performing arts). I don't understand why this 1 year of art in school is so necessary, as I have 6 credits of social studies and loads of other credits that are out of this specific field. Also, my school does not offer year-long visual arts classes.

Also, while I have not taken performing arts in school, I have been playing piano since I was 5 years old out of school (every day for an hour). Shouldn't that count for something? I don't find it reasonable that I cannot apply (even though I technically already did; it is an "incomplete" application) simply because I lack 2 consecutive art courses in one subject. It is not like I'm lacking in any other subject; I have a 4.0 CSU GPA, and a 33 on my ACTs, and I am pretty sure that I would be otherwise qualified for this institution.

Lastly, I HATE ART!!! I despise band/orchestra!!! I cannot draw worth a darn, and I do not like it at all (except for the fact that some of it is cool to look at, and I certainly appreciate those who can draw/paint/do artsy stuff really well). I tried playing clarinet for a year in 6th grade. But I did not like it either. Why must I suffer???? Not that SDSU is my first choice or anything, but still....I don't understand why I can get into schools that are much higher in selectivity, but still can't get into a third-tier school with a semi-ridiculous requirement.

Any thoughts on this? Or you could just laugh at me and my pathetic-ness...
Post edited by fa-la-la-lena on

Replies to: Applying to SDSU: An Angry but Mostly Rational Rant

• fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    sigh... a continuation to my glorious story... I know all of you CC'ers are so interested and dying to read this thread (sarcasm, btw)

Anyway, I emailed admissions, and they said that 1, my jewelry/metalworking classes don't count as art (what the ????), and 2, I need to take an extra semester of approved art at high school or a community college. Well, I said f-that, I'm not going to waste my time, told them how ridiculous they were, to withdraw my application, and said thanks for nothing. Polite me, huh? It just makes me angry that I wasted my time considering that school...college admissions is aggravating enough as it is. But that's okay with me, I definitely wouldn't want to go to a school that doesn't want me back, and I know I'll be happy wherever I go (not going to be SDSU, apparently).

Hopefully all of you prospective students heed my wise words of wisdom: pay attention to the a-g requirements. They are boring as heck, but reading the info. might save you a lot of time and brain power.
  • Aztec09Aztec09 Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    sorry fa-lala, you had 4 years to read the requirements in high school. I have no sympathy.
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    harsh... haha, i know I was kinda dumb, and I'm not asking for sympathy (I'm an OOS'er, give me a little credit; none of the state schools everywhere else have the stringent, completely inflexible requirements that California schools do). but anyway, even more to the story; a nicer, polite lady emailed me back and said that my jewelry classes would count (even though they technically don't fall under a-g requirements) and hoped that I would reconsider, so I probably will think about it still. Anyway, the app. fee is non-refundable. I might as well finish my application
  • Aztec09Aztec09 Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    i know i can be overly mean on this board. good luck. sdsu is a great school
This discussion has been closed.