Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should i superscore?

monicak2011monicak2011 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I took the ACT in september and got a 27(E:31, M:30, R:22, S:26). Last June I recieved a 29 (E:32, M:26, R:30, S:29). If I superscore is raises my score to a 30, but if I send my most recent score will universities look down on my poor reading score?
Post edited by monicak2011 on

Replies to: Should i superscore?

• rodneyrodney Registered User Posts: 9,406 Senior Member
    Would totally depend on whether the schools you are applying to superscore the ACT...hate to break this to you, but you are going to have to sit down and call each of them and ask....

Most schools only look at the highest composite......so you need to check.....and IMO I would call since this seems to change at schools daily....literally.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,900 Super Moderator
  • monicak2011monicak2011 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I plan on applying to WUSTL, Reed, John's Hopkins, UChicago, and a few in state safety schools. I'm pretty sure most of these superscore, except the state schools. Will they look down on my reading score? I really messed up.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 29,948 Super Moderator
    I think anyone can have a bad day and score significantly lower than they should, but it's unlikely to have such a good day that a score is significantly higher than one's capabilities would suggest. I think that's why superscoring is considered more accurate.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,900 Super Moderator
    That would be a good reason for the SAT to superscore since they penalize for guesses. Not so true with the ACT. Luck does happen.
  • monicak2011monicak2011 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Okay, thanks for all of your input!
  • ForthegochForthegoch Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I have the same problem. Last test, i got a 29( 32 math, 31 reading, 27 english, 25 science)
    The test I took in spetember, I got a 28( 34math, 22 reading, 28 english, 28 science). And my superscore is a 30.25.
This discussion has been closed.