Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

How much weight do ACT scores have for transfer admission?

mew6112mew6112 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
I noticed that some universities ask for ACT scores in their transfer admissions(Stanford, Cornell, University of Virginia for example). How much weight does ACT scores have in their admissions process? What if I have a superior GPA, good record for my college, but have poor ACT scores? Is it possible to compensate for them?
Post edited by mew6112 on

Replies to: How much weight do ACT scores have for transfer admission?

• drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,181 Senior Member
    The longer you are in college before applying for transfer the less weight it has. For example, if applying for transfer into sophomore year, test score and high school record are still considered important because they will be making decision based on only one semester's college grades -- you apply and get decision in spring of second semester, first year of college and thus all they have for college grades at time of decision is one semester, as result the college grades are important but high school record and test score is still quite important and many will be looking at it as would you have had some chance to be admitted first year if you had applied.

Whereas, if you apply for transfer into third year, they will have three semesters of college grades upon which to base decision and high school record and test scores will be given minimal weight and for many colleges none at all including because they won't even require you to submit test scores if transfering into third year.
  • mew6112mew6112 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Well at my college I have taken 2 semesters, and I am on my third one right now. However, in the previous two semesters I only took a total of 18 credit hours(9 per semester). How much weight does my high school transcript and ACT scores have? What if, say, in my high school transcript I had poor math records, but I then took a math courses at my college and passed them with A's?
This discussion has been closed.