Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is a list of gerunds a plural subject or singular one?

charismaztexcharismaztex Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
For example:

"Delivering pizza, editing my high school newspaper, babysitting my nephew, and doing my homework leave (instead of 'leaves') me scarcely any free time."

I'm getting confused because I've seen a CB explanation for 2 gerunds acting as a singular subject instead of a plural one. I can't remember which question, and I could have remembered incorrectly.

Another example,

I can see that "Skiing on the snow tops, baking a cake, and watching TV are my some of favorite activities" would have to be plural.

Could anyone clear up the confusion?

Thanks
Post edited by charismaztex on

Replies to: Is a list of gerunds a plural subject or singular one?

• gertrudetrumpetgertrudetrumpet Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Most are plural, but some go together, like "drinking and driving is unsafe."
  • GreedIsGoodGreedIsGood Registered User Posts: 2,039 Senior Member
    Drinking and driving *is* fun.
    Skiing and snowboarding *are* fun.
  • Wood5440Wood5440 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    If the compound subjects that are both singular are joined by 'or', ''either/or' or 'neither/nor' the verb is singular. 'Neither Jim nor Ed is chairman.' 'Either Jim or Ed is chairman.' If the number of the compound subject is mixed, and they are joined by the conjunctions listed above, then the number of the closest one to the verb is usually the one than determines the verb's number. Either Nancy or her sisters are going.

Since gerunds are singular, only the first situation applies.
This discussion has been closed.