right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Perfect SAT and ACT scores

2»

Replies to: Perfect SAT and ACT scores

• cortana431cortana431 4846 replies169 discussions- Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    Caltech, MIT, Harvey Mudd, and Cooper Union are all extremely selective, particularly Caltech and MIT. Your daughter will need a lot more than perfect test scores to get in. (I think she would have a better chance than most applicants though, females are given in edge in admission to engineering/tech schools)
    · Reply · Share
  • vinsimvinsim 55 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    I think you could be wrong Silver Turtle. A strong research background at such early age may not be necessary.

This is the age where students must learn the existing knowledge. Those who can learn what already exists have a much better chance to innovate later on. Those who don't really understand fundamental science - may do google research and create a innovative project - but likely never be able to reach the frontiers of innovation that will turn into anything useful.

If you see China and India - these countries are extremely merit based and have been producing better results than the US. Also if you see scientific temperament in US till 1980s it has largely been merit based. Since then, Managers (those who are not doers) have brought in Leadership to justify there own ascent on the value chain.

A lot of Leadership at the age of 15-17 is meaningless as the children have not reached that level of maturity where they understand themselves and the science they are dealing with. Just a lot of drive and passion to do something good is a virtue but it is lot easily done than to work hard at studies and score perfect marks or to be a leader in real life situation (which requires a lot of grit and inner strength).

Also good leaders, in the past have usually come out of the underprivileged lot - because the hardships had such a profound impact on them. One has to go through a lot of perseverance that makes someone a leader. These days there are businesses that will send you to a charity mission in Africa, charge big bucks for it and it will shop on your resume. It is easy to start a club at school than to go in slums in underdeveloped countries and live there and help out). What is really lacking is that most high schoolers are into Leadership because they need it for college application.

Also note that merely having good leaders is not sufficient. You also need good followers and their goodness can only come from the sincerity of the leaders.

If universities truly want to reward the Leaders they must go through their contribution and intent with a lens in their hands and a rare few would be selected. I would agree if some such demonstrated leadership was give a little weight in the application among other personality traits.

On the other hand, those students who have worked hard upon themselves and persevered do actually have the potential to one day inspire others to follow them.
    · Reply · Share
  • rspencerspence 2109 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,118 Senior Member
    @hnedmuqin, I'm kind of in the same boat. I only got a 2070 on my SAT, but got accepted to MIT. Problem is, I'm also in the middle-class with no financial aid. MIT doesn't give any merit-based aid either...
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32913 replies3642 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,555 Super Moderator
    ^ If you are in the middle class then you will have FA. To get no FA you have to be in the upper 10% of income earners in the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • chewydogchewydog 760 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 770 Member
    Since it's 12:30 AM, I won't write down everything I thought of...

Vinsim, your argument is a classic Idealism v. Realism conflict. If the US followed China and India's examples, the rich would be favored far more by the education system, as demonstrated in both Asian countries. Granted, merit has benefits by only looking at the information you can regurgitate. Though a poor student in a solely merit-based system can study hard enough and receive high scores (thus standing a fighting chance), these students face many obstacles which the rich easily bypass. Furthermore, merit systems inhibit diversity because students spend grueling hours to try and score a tad better than the next person who may be studying just as hard if not harder. Having Chinese cousins who live this everyday, I know for a fact that the merit system is also very punishing. If you perform poorly on an entrance exam, the odds against your success later in life exponentially increase. In comparison, the American system adds some buffering through the push for extracurriculars, having understood that not everyone is a study-bot. And that students can reveal their strengths through other methods. In addition, you excessively slander the image of leadership with that example of the African trip. Most students actually show leadership by taking on roles such as tutors, camp counselors, captains, presidents/vp/secretary/treasurer, and other methods. In most cases, students work hard to achieve their leadership roles and handle them well. The follower concept is true but continued membership in a club/activity usually shows sufficient abilities to follow. The rest of that statement just lost me. Anyways, I will not try and assert that the American system is flawless, but it definitely is a good alternative to the merit system. Paper tests are not everything at any age and will never be. The important things are what you actually retain and actually apply to situations beyond the classroom and test question 6C.

As a side note: your comment about pointless research miffed me. I actually go to a professional lab to help out with real experiments and to conduct my own. What's wrong with that? I learn valuable information when I'm there, and I can practice applying concepts from the various science classes I have taken in high school to a real environment.
    · Reply · Share
  • vinsimvinsim 55 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    Good reply chewydog.

I think a balance is better though. Today leadership or research seem to be everything and I was thinking that a balance between these and academics would be better.
    · Reply · Share
  • ldavisldavis 565 replies107 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    have your smart daughter figure out where the scholarships are...
    · Reply · Share
  • goldfish68goldfish68 8 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Lol Idavis.

How is it possible that your daughter did not prepare herself for the SAT exam and yet get a score of 2400?

I know she is smart but this is too much.

Congrats though. :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity