Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Board Error on June 6, 2015 SAT?

Replies to: College Board Error on June 6, 2015 SAT?

• moonwalk83moonwalk83 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    i called them as well and they gave a generic response. The guy said the first collegeboard press release word for word. And it was not until further inquiry that he told me that both sections8 and 9 will be scored. And that they are still figuring things out so this solution is not guaranteed.
    will not be scored*
  • Canon7130Canon7130 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    edited June 2015
    How is this fair? What if a student missed a total of like 5 questions on the first 2 sections of math but missed 0 on the section that's being taken out. Then that would mean they would no longer be able to get at least a 700(i believe 5 or 6 is the max u can miss and still get 700) but instead they will end up getting 670 or lower. Now there's around a 30 point decrease in the scores for just 1 part of the SAT.
  • NewdleNewdle Registered User Posts: 832 Member
    I'm just begging for /some/ parent or student to bring this to Good Morning America or some other big media network, bahahhaahhaahha. CB thinks they can cover their asses by providing supposedly fair scores even though they're taking out 2 entire sections. Bull. All bull.
  • BenzeneRingsBenzeneRings Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    edited June 2015
    I say we all call/e-mail CollegeBoard demanding optional retake. Better yet, for those who are courageous enough, contact your local media, because it is clear CB is trying to just sweep this under the rug.
    EDIT: There is a Washington Post article on this! Share it with your friends, family, hopefully word will spread!

I think standardize testing is necessary, but should instead be offer by the universities themselves, as is done in many European countries. This goes to show the dangers when so much monopolistic control by a corporation is given in such a critical sector of our nation such as education.
  • lonetreegradlonetreegrad Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Thanks @Chrysanthemum14
    @BenzeneRings Thanks for the information. A retake of June 20th will not work for my DD. She will be traveling until July 8th! I am pretty sure a lot of kids will not be available on that day. Oh well, we just have to wait and see.
    @lonetreegrad I think it is best for CB to offer retake in August/September. The ACT has a test in September, why not CB?
    Yeah this is really unfair. These scores aren't reliable anymore. If a student did good on those cancelled sections and not as good on the previous sections, they're looking at around a 30 point decrease. Seriously we should all protest. This is an outrage.
    @BenzeneRings Can you post the link for the Washington Post Article please? Thanks.
    I am still in shock. I saw the release two hours ago yet I am still staring at the original message. I do not understand why our scores should suffer for their erroneous timing instructions. Like canon said, this is an outrage.
  • Chrysanthemum14Chrysanthemum14 Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    I would have prefered the mandatory retake ugh
    @Canon7130 I did a few pages ago, but here it is again: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/07/students-find-key-error-on-sats-given-across-u-s/

Spread the Word! Contact big media and small, it will break eventually!
    @Chrysanthemum14 I recently called them and they said that they are still trying to figure it out. But I am not sure if this was just a generic college board answer or an accurate one. Hopefully we get to retake it though. But I have to say the vocabulary questions were fairly easy lol.
  • lonetreegradlonetreegrad Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    @Squirg "I really wish more schools would go test optional." Yes, I agree. DD has been working very hard for the last 3 years, getting straight As in all AP and IB classes, top of her class, leaderships, great EC, etc, and has to decide which school to apply to based on a test that is taken in 4 hours. I guess colleges use the standardized test to weed people out!
This discussion has been closed.