right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The SAT's 5-Minute Mess-Up

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2318 replies213 postsCommunity Manager Community Manager
"The College Board announced Monday evening that two sections of the SAT given on Saturday will not be scored. There are enough other sections, the College Board said, to provide valid overall SAT scores for those who took the test that day."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/06/09/college-board-wont-score-two-sections-sat

http://www.examiner.com/article/college-board-drops-the-ball-on-june-sat-and-thousands-get-extra-time
edited June 2015
85 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: The SAT's 5-Minute Mess-Up

• TheAtlanticTheAtlantic 1941 replies32 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    In theory, there should be no problem right? Each section has the same number of easy/medium/hard questions, and so they just take the unaffected sections.

In practice, I'm guessing the new curve will stink because there are less questions (so it's a PSAT style curve).
    · Reply · Share
  • VerminsoupremeVerminsoupreme 40 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    According to their twitter, they will only be omitting one section, depending on the edition.
    · Reply · Share
  • Qwerty568Qwerty568 1203 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The curve is going to be brutal on this. Yikes.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheAtlanticTheAtlantic 1941 replies32 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Verminsoupreme (love the name by the way) they've updated it to both sections now I believe (one math and one reading)
    · Reply · Share
  • dsi411dsi411 2232 replies91 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I guess whoever made the mistake in the test booklet is going to be fired.
    · Reply · Share
  • LeviAckermenLeviAckermen 79 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Good thing I didn't take the SAT last Saturday. Hopefully this won't happen when I take the ACT this Saturday. I would hate to have a section not counted, aside from the experimental section of course.
    · Reply · Share
  • lonetreegradlonetreegrad 247 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @BathsuaMakin Excellent suggestions!
    @WhataProcess I don't think colleges should put so much weight on any standardized tests, SAT or ACT. My daughter has taken both and have done well in both (33 ACT and 2210 SAT). She took the June 6th SAT to increase her score and received the 20 minutes time for sections 8 and 9, but I still feel that these tests are used too much by colleges. She felt that ACT is a test of speed, taken in less than 4 hours which it really does not show your true ability/knowledge. She felt that SAT is less stressful as far as time management, but now we know that even though you might do well in the test (which she did and was hoping to get 2300+), she might do worse because of CB screw up. So, a kid who is an excellent student (all A's for 3 years), National Merit semifinalist (hopefully a finalist), great ECs and leaderships, and more, has to worry about a stupid test, because 1-2 questions in it can eliminate her from the pool in highly selective schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • ArthurDent42ArthurDent42 203 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I took the June 6th SAT.....I'm kinda freaking out with all these, "I'm guessing the new curve will stink because there are less questions..." and, "The curve is going to be brutal on this. Yikes."

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid College Board imbeciles!! Every time I turn around, they're trying to make my life more stressful.....I was hoping I could get a 2100+ on this SAT after getting a ~1900 on the March SAT. I had to study around the AP testing too, so I only got to study for ~1 month....well now it looks like I'll have to take the SAT during my senior year, which is what I was trying to avoid having to do....ugh.

Would it not be logical to make the curve MORE generous considering how we have less questions to represent our capabilities? If not, then dang, the College Board is just a bunch of [insert the most insulting word or phrase you can imagine].
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24571 replies872 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    William Shakespeare said it best in 1602: With the twist for 2015, here it is:

"Chicken Little doth protest too much, methinks"

Seriously, this is not a big deal. No alarms needed for egregious curves as test after test, everyone always seems to complain about the hard curve when it works the same way ... every time. It was last this a decade ago, and nothing will ever change,

Simply stated, just forget this incident that the stuff that makes the media vulture foam at the mouth, and morons to repeat and report it as a scandal.

Well prepared people should not have to rely on one particular administration!
    edited June 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • BathsuaMakinBathsuaMakin 11 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    Had a follow-up conversation with the College Board today. They are refunding the cost of the test and the additional fee for the student scoring report although we will get both the scores and the additional report. I urge you all to contact CB and at least get a refund. I told them they are facing a Tylenol moment (parents will recognize the allusion to the 1982 crisis for Johnson and Johnson which has become the model for effective crisis management).
    · Reply · Share
  • rhandcorhandco 4240 replies55 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    A Tylenol moment? Seriously?

Wow. Your memory of that time must be much rosier than mine.

CB should give the option to cancel and give money back, but should not give a report and money back, that is ridiculous.
    · Reply · Share
  • ArthurDent42ArthurDent42 203 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited June 2015
    I should clarify that the extra and obviously unintended 5 minutes marked on Sections 8 and 9 didn't freak me out, and I knew, based on how many practice tests I took while studying for this SAT, that it was merely a printing error, and that we only had 20 minutes on these sections (as my proctor correctly guessed).

However, I don't think they should completely remove these sections just because of a printing error, especially if removing these sections would result in a TOUGHER curve and an overall lower score.

Would it be smart for them to allow us to choose which score we'd like to accept as our "true" score, comparing the score with Sections 8 and 9 and the score without Sections 8 and 9, or would that give us an unfair advantage over those who didn't take an SAT with this weird predicament?
    edited June 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • foosondaughterfoosondaughter 308 replies6 postsRegistered User Member
    For the roughly 93% of people scoring below 700 (see, e.g., https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/sat/sat-percentile-ranks-mathematics-2014.pdf), this probably won't make too much difference. However, it does especially reduce the ability of the test to discern differences between students at the top end of the distribution (who only miss a handful of questions), and effectively adds a larger stochasticity ("luck") factor. Consider the typical curve:

800 (0 wrong) ... roughly 1%
    780 (1 wrong) ... roughly 1%
    750 or 760 (2 wrong) ... roughly 1%
    730 or 740 (2 wrong/1 blank) ... roughly 1%
    720 (3 wrong) ... roughly 1%
    710 (4 wrong) ... roughly 1%
    700 (5 wrong) ... roughly 1%

Just a guesstimate, but I suspect the curve for this is likely to look more like:
    800 (0 wrong) ... roughly 1.5%
    770 (1 wrong) ... roughly 1.5%
    730 (2 wrong) ... roughly 1.5%
    710 (2 wrong/1 blank) ... roughly 1.5%
    700 (3 wrong) ... roughly 1.5%

So while a few people will benefit (e.g., those who missed questions in the eliminated section but will still receive an 800), it does seem harsh that someone can only miss a couple questions and yet receive a 730. As @TheAtlantic noted, this is similar to the PSAT curve (https://www.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat/guide-to-understanding-psat-nmsqt-scores-2014.pdf)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity