right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Students Bombed the SAT This Year, in Four Charts

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2500 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member

Replies to: Students Bombed the SAT This Year, in Four Charts

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 33022 replies3721 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    The number of high school graduates who took the SAT reached an all-time high of almost 1.7 million this year
    Cause and effect?

I'd also like to see what changes are statistically significant. For instance the axis on the Writing scores looks like a good slope for skiing but if you remove the first year of scoring, the scores have gone down <10 points over 9 years.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 33022 replies3721 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    ^ I guess that means next year's SAT scores will also go up.
    · Reply · Share
  • nevergiveuppnevergiveupp 183 replies35 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Watang Agreed. People should stop wasting time on CollegeBoard's tricky, obscured tests. Especially when it becomes revised, make sure to just stick with ACT. ACT rules!
    · Reply · Share
  • woodlandsmomwoodlandsmom 408 replies10 postsRegistered User Member
    do you think my son should take the SAT again if he got a good ACT score? (SAT was 1810 which was low for him and ACT was 33)
    · Reply · Share
  • PheebersPheebers 612 replies25 postsRegistered User Member
    33 is pretty darn respectable....but if he feels he can do much better on the SAT there's not a lot to lose.
    · Reply · Share
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School 3326 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not surprising considering the condition of most urban public school districts. I doubt there has been any loss in private, suburban and rural areas. These alarmist articles never show relevant granularity.

It might just be that more states switched to SAT from ACT, and scores declined when the SAT became mandatory instead of optional.
    · Reply · Share
  • zoemurrzoemurr 82 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    3scouts: Where did you find this year's PSAT cut off scores? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MITer94MITer94 4728 replies19 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    First off, if anyone shows a chart in which the Y axis does not start at zero, there is usually an agenda at play. You can always make things look far worse by exaggerating the y-axis by starting at a point of your choosing.
    @skyoverme not always - sometimes having a y-axis at zero might make very significant changes look negligible.

However I don't really understand the article since the SAT scores are based on curves from past experimental sections (let me know if I'm wrong). Might as well put really harsh curves next year and then claim that SAT scores dropped...
    · Reply · Share
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo 1970 replies31 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The data on the graphs needs to start after 1995, because the SAT scores were recentered in 1995, so you cannot compare the average pre 1995 scores to post 1995 scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • violin16violin16 3 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    Nowadays, EVERYONE is encouraged/required to take the tests as preferred to when only the top percentage did. We will see a decrease in scores as more and more lower-income students have to take this test. Let's focus on bringing everyone's score up, instead of focusing on how terrible the scores of everyone are as compared to the scores of a select few.
    · Reply · Share
  • perazzimanperazziman 2357 replies63 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    It is funny to me how people like to talk about how the SAT test keeps getting easier (re-centered) but kids do worse than before etc. However, nobody talks about how today's SAT Math is harder than before. For example, Math 700 today is the equivalent of 710 in the past or 750 SAT Math II is equivalent of 780 in the past or GRE Math 166 is the equivalent of 800 in the past or that average SAT scores at highly competitive colleges such as Harvard are much higher than before or that the average SAT score at schools such as University of Pennsylvania in the late 70s was 1240 (M+V) etc
    edited September 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • NewdleNewdle 751 replies81 postsRegistered User Member
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THAT SCREW UP BY THE COLLEGEBOARD? COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!#!@#!@$!@$%!@#$!@%!#
    · Reply · Share
  • Argonian183Argonian183 101 replies11 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @woodlandsmom Retaking the SAT in that scenario would be pointless. There's no need to focus on both tests if there's such a huge discrepancy between ACT/SAT scores (a 33 is 99th percentile, while an 1810 is 82nd percentile). Your son should basically just forget about the SAT entirely, because it isn't going to help him.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity