Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do you know someone dumber than you who got a higher score?

teabiscuitteabiscuit Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
I know someone who is much less smart than I am (I don't mean to sound rude or anything) but they got a higher score than me (and I did study!) Now I'm concerned because I hear that schools weigh scores more than GPA, and I have a high GPA and have worked hard for it and now people may be getting into higher schools than me because of one 4 hour test, not because of 4 years of hard work. Just wondering if I'm the only one who did worse on a standardized test than someone dumber than me....

Replies to: Do you know someone dumber than you who got a higher score?

• Malcomx99Malcomx99 Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    Lol how did you come to the conclusion that this person is "dumb." Einstein was considered mentally retarded as a child, and we all know how that story ended...
  • emilyskatesemilyskates Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    How do you know that they are less smart than you are? I don't see how you could possibly tell.

Some people are just naturally good test takers. It's just how it is. Or maybe they studied more. I don't know. Or maybe, they're just as smart as you are.
  • loquaticalloquatical Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    I know people who are smarter than me and scored lower. But in this case, I'm inclined to think that they're just as smart as you are. Maybe smarter.
  • NerdyparentNerdyparent Registered User Posts: 863 Member
    Churchill started his early life with a poor academic record as well - obviously he was not dumb.
  • photogeek8photogeek8 Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    What even is your basis for your claim that this person is "dumber" than you? You have no right to make that sort of judgment, because you clearly don't know much about the person.

Also, one test does not determine whether one gets into a "higher" school. There are many facotrs involved, and test scores are just one of them.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    General Patton flunked his first year at West Point. Guess he'd be one of those "dumber" people.

I don't know that schools rate scores over GPA every time, absolutely. Chill out. It's just one test. No need to whine. Some people are better at taking tests than others. No reason they should be criticized for that.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    Certainly test-optional, test-flexible, and no standardized testing schools do not rate SATs over GPA. See http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional for a list. Schools who receive tons of applications may use SAT as an initial cutoff to get the number of apps to be read within a reasonable amount (GPA varies by school and by course rigor, so it's not an easy initial benchmark). But standardized tests are only one factor in admissions decisions.

I also had kids in my grade who were higher ranked yet scored lower on the SAT. Guess that makes me dumber than them. Oh well. I've still managed to have a pretty successful career despite my apparent "dumbness".
  • chyaboi123chyaboi123 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Lol @ "much less smart"
  • NickFlynnNickFlynn Registered User Posts: 841 Member
    A smarter person would worry about their own damned self, and not be worrying about other people.
  • rougesneakersrougesneakers Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    I think you need to emotionally mature before you go to college.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,037 Senior Member
    Intelligence isn't defined, nor is "dumbness." If the most intelligent and educated psychometricians (and other academics in related fields) can't crack that nut, it's pretty safe to say that you haven't either.

Get some humility and stop worrying about other people unless they need your help.
This discussion has been closed.