right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Early takers say new SAT 'wasn't so bad' and not so tricky

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2499 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"The redesigned SAT college entrance exam that debuts nationally Saturday is getting good reviews from some of the students who took it early this week." …

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20160303_ap_1f7124e14d484736b568a99b9516c121.html
50 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Early takers say new SAT 'wasn't so bad' and not so tricky

• suzyQ7suzyQ7 3948 replies55 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our own CC students are already talking about the questions from the March SAT (apparently given on Wednesday in some states) on this site and they are saying its easier, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • marsha.ssmarsha.ss 239 replies25 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I agree with Marvin....if they use the same test - shame on them, but it would be par for the course... However, I do think they may have two versions of the test because they will need future tests that they can recycle overseas in the next few months, or they can use as a Sunday test, a make-up exam, or a school day test. Also, since scores won't be out until May, we have no idea what the scores will be like. It may be easier, but then the curve will be harsher and the scores lower . The reality is that we have no idea what a good score will be. And based on the inflated PSAT percentiles, it may be more of the same.
    · Reply · Share
  • DoyleBDoyleB 270 replies5 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    My daughter took the test today and told me that she thought they made it too easy. Her friend (who hasn't performed particularly well on these tests in the past) also thought the test was pretty simple.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • PlotinusPlotinus 939 replies19 postsRegistered User Member
    I greatly doubt that the SAT School Day and non-school day tests will be the same test. In fact, I also would not be surprised if the School Day test is easier than the Saturday test, because that would be one effective way to "narrow the gap".

Are any adults going to be allowed to see the School Day SAT's to check? Or are we going to just trust College Board's infallible equating procedures?
    · Reply · Share
  • marsha.ssmarsha.ss 239 replies25 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    No way adults will be able to see the test. And that would really not be fair if the school day test was easier...
    · Reply · Share
  • MamelotMamelot 2112 replies4 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    D3 just got out of the test and thought it went pretty well. I don't know any more in terms of specifics.
    · Reply · Share
  • VryCnfsdVryCnfsd 124 replies10 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    DS thought it was about the same level of difficulty as the PSAT.

I worry that the percentile scores will be hard to interpret, much like the PSAT, leaving us to wonder where he stands relative to other students.
    · Reply · Share
  • lessonwitch2lessonwitch2 471 replies85 postsRegistered User Member
    edited March 2016
    @Plotinus
    I kinda agree with you

My friend took both the school day test and the Saturday test and he said that the reading sections were both really simple but the Saturday test was a bit more straight forward then school day. But the math (no calc) one made him "think" more on the Saturday test and the grid ins were defiantly harder.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 3948 replies55 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My son thought the March Saturday SAT was easy. Lets see if that equates to a great score.
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The test is a bell shaped curve. So if it's easier for everyone, it simply means the curve will shift and adjust. It doesn't mean everyone will get a great score. A good standardized test is deliberately structured to create the bell shaped curve distribution.

There's no bell shape if all the scores are smooshed up at the high end because the test isn't hard enough.

· Reply · Share
  • NotVerySmartNotVerySmart 1608 replies62 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    GMTplus7 wrote:
    There's no bell shape if all the scores are smooshed up at the high end because the test isn't hard enough.

Don't worry. Top colleges might have 30,000 applicants with a 4.0 and a 1600, but holistic admissions will find the worthy 1,500 or 2,000. Right?
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • generationsgenerations 36 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    "There's no bell shape if all the scores are smooshed up at the high end because the test isn't hard enough."

@GMTplus7, that's my point--that was what my post was about. They are still norming the test. I doubt very much however that all the results will be smooched up at the high end (and if they are, they will change the test to ensure they aren't). I'm a private tutor with over 10 years of experience and have been tutoring students on the new SAT; I can see already how some students will be tripped up. The only certainty that it is a very different test from the previous one and we cannot make accurate predictions yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • jackisawesomejackisawesome 828 replies17 postsRegistered User Member
    Even if it is easier, regardless of how people think they do, it will all come down to the results and the percentages for the country. SATs don't matter unless colleges see them and colleges will be the ones to determine what is competitive with the new SAT as far as scores go.
    · Reply · Share
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 632 replies2 postsRegistered User Member
    If new SAT is indeed easier than before, schools will give more weight to subject tests.
    · Reply · Share
  • RHSclassof16RHSclassof16 809 replies113 postsRegistered User Member
    edited March 2016
    Yeah the thing is that a test like the SAT can't really be "Easier" for the general public. Meaning that if everyone gets a higher proportion of questions right on average, then that will be reflected in the actual score. For example on the old SAT CR you could often miss 2 and still get 800. If the new reading was a lot easier and more people got a higher % of questions correct, then -1 may keep you from getting 800.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • aeatheraeather 53 replies21 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I think people are getting tricked into thinking it's easier. It's not. All the new test does - letting people guess with no penalty, perhaps easier questions/more focus on reading/writing - is make it so that the highest scorers need to get EVERYTHING right. I've walked away from tests I thought were easy and not gotten everything right, especially standardized. So you may come off it feeling great, but if you get even one or two questions wrong, that may really affect your score.
    · Reply · Share
  • agc2299agc2299 37 replies32 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I took it and thought it was much easier than before, about the same as the PSAT where I got 99 percentile in everything and scored in high 700's (760 - 800) in all catagories. I had taken the ACT on the Tuesday before it and felt that the SAT was much less franetic, more time to think through things and no science section forcing rushed interpretations of graphs which is always my worst. I'll be interested to see what my scores are
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity