Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT MANY times

msbox44msbox44 Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
My friend wants me to ask CC if taking the sat many times could be a negative, especially because he took it once as a freshman, four times as a soph (all for college programs and recruiting) and once for real college admissions purposes as a junior, and ended with a 2250. He is applying to Duke early decision and they superscore but require all scores to be sent. Will they thing this is a negative or does it not matter because he only took it once as a junior??
admissions would not know about the recruiting/summer program reason

Replies to: SAT MANY times

• TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 3,199 Senior Member
    5 is a little on the high side, but not horribly excessive. I would not be concerned at all.
  • MamelotMamelot Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    Your friend had several valid reasons for retaking the SAT and started as a freshman. As long as he explains why he has five sets of scores he should be fine. ADCOMS realize that there are many reasons to be taking a test multiple times. An applicant who took five SAT's over a period of three years in order to be admitted to selective early college programs is very different from an applicant who took five SAT's between sophomore and senior year simply to raise the superscore. The first student has a story, the second one doesn't. Obviously ADCOM's will figure out what's going on as well.

Taking the test once as a junior demonstrates that your friend considered the "for reals" test as a "one and done" to be taken at the appropriate time - good thinking on his part. Colleges should respect that mature attitude.

Good luck to him!

• suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    There's nothing he can do about it at this point, so it's not worth the worry.

I don't see where on his app he would have the ability to explain why he has five sets of scores.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    The best preparation for college-admissions tests is taking college-prep classes or better, take notes and think, complete assignments and papers to the best of your skills,do well on tests and presentations, complete homework, etc. are critical. Ensure that your read quickly and fluently with good comprehension. Two points.

First. Exams such as the SAT and ACT measure your overall academic preparation in high school as a means of predicting your grades in the early stages of college. There are scads of potential questions for any single version so trying to study for specific information, unless there is a big hole in a content area, is not a great plan. I think learning test-taking and time-management helps you manage the exam. Looking at test examples helps familiarize how questions are organized, phrased, contain key vocabulary is useful. I also looked over a middle-school math text to refresh my self on lesser used or forgotten math skills. Your best strategy is taking advantage of your high school classes. Learn!

Second. Reading is a fundamental skill that provides a lifetime of benefits. Like all kinds of skills, reading successfully requires practice, practice, practice. Reading improves overall knowledge and specific information. Frequent and active reading improves reading speed, reading books at various reading levels and lengths familiarizes you with different kinds of text and expands vocabulary. Read beyond recreational books. Zombies may be entertaining but... Think about what you have read to secure information. Learn to skim for important references so you don't have to plod through text multiple times. I found it useful to look over the questions quickly before I red the passage.

In the olden days, we used to take the test once unless something tangible and bad happened and we could test later under far better conditions. Multiple retakes for a handful of points on a relatively minor contributor to admissions seems expensive and time consuming to me.
  • mmk2015mmk2015 Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    5 times? That's a lot. You better call Duke directly and ask them what they think.
  • swim1128swim1128 Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    5 times is a lot, but there's nothing he can do about it now. Just a general note, you should take a test a max of three times. I personally think once or twice is the best, and won't affect you negatively.
This discussion has been closed.