Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

SAT concordance table - compare old and new SAT scores

Replies to: SAT concordance table - compare old and new SAT scores

• presidentquorapresidentquora Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    [noparse]

nope.

[/noparse]
  • mdphd92mdphd92 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    In the above message, there is a typo. It should read "For scores in the 600-690 range, ..."
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    Prompted by another post I checked prepscholar's conversion table and it looks like a 1430 SAT is now a 32 ACT while it used to be a 31 same as the official CB table. It looks to me that people are playing around although next year's results might again change things.
    edited September 1
    It appears that the Prepscholar Web site changed its concordance tables some time between August 2 and now. There are significant differences between that conversion table and the 2016 CollegeBoard conversion table. For example, a redesigned SAT score of 1440 is ACT 31 using CollegeBoard but 33 using Prepscholar. Likewise, SAT scores of 1400 and 1410 are ACT 30 using CollegeBoard but 32 using Prepscholar.

The strange thing is that the Prepscholar Web site says "The most accurate concordance tables come directly from the makers of the test -- College Board. These are the most up to date tables officially released." The Web page also says that the table is "via College Board" and that "this conversion chart comes from the College Board only." However, as shown above, the concordance table currently on the Web site is significantly different from both the 2016 table from CollegeBoard and from the archived copy of the Prepscholar Web site from August 2.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    Why would Prepscholar be a source that people use? Makes sense to just go to College Board. While looking for an SAT target score for S19, we decided to go with 1520 because CB says that's the equivalent to a 34 on the ACT.
    edited September 1
    It's not that we want to use Prepscholar. Rather, many of us have a suspicion that the CollegeBoard concordance tables from May 2016 are not accurate, especially at the high range of SAT scores. See, for example, the University of California evidence I presented above, as well as other anecdotal reports coming in from various admissions committees. And now, here is a Web site that has mysteriously changed its concordance tables to support our suspicions, while professing to get its data from the CollegeBoard.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    edited September 1
    It looks like PrepScholar's ACT-SAT score converter uses CB's 2009 document https://research.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/publications/2012/7/researchnote-2009-40-act-sat-concordance-tables.pdf . Alternatively, I might wonder if CB quietly published new ones, but I'm not finding anything. If these were PrepScholar's own estimates, I doubt they'd include the statement that the numbers come directly from the College Board. My guess is that someone at PrepScholar made a mistake.

If there are other converters or tables out there that purport to be recent, I'd be interested in looking at them, but I haven't seen any.

Perhaps this will be moot when the new Common Data Sets are published - wishful thinking?
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,992 Senior Member
    I believe the SAT data that Williams reported showed that Avg SAT scores for accepted students were slightly lower this year than last, which may mean the original concordance tables by College board were off.
    @evergreen5 . You're right about PrepScholar apparently using an old CollegeBoard conversion table. It matches exactly. The true correspondence will have to come from the score distribution of students taking the test.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,992 Senior Member
    Some more confusing data from Amherst this time

According to the Amherst web site -here are the stats for the freshmen class
    Their SAT composite (the “old test”) is 2232—also a record. And their redesigned SAT (first introduced with this class) is 1469.

But according to the College Board concordance table an old SAT score of 2230 is equal to a new SAT score of 1530.
    So the avg for the new score seems very low if the concordance tables are accurate
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    From what I have seen so far all the colleges reported new SATs somehow lower than the expected ones (based on the concordance tables and especially on the upper end). There are older threads that discuss why that have happened but there is no agreement. I would assume it will take some years for things to clear up.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    But according to the College Board concordance table an old SAT score of 2230 is equal to a new SAT score of 1530.
    So the avg for the new score seems very low if the concordance tables are accurate

@wisteria100 As the first class submitting the new test, I think it's possible some students submitted the old version score instead. So one doesn't necessarily equal the other - if a kid took the new one at all, and didn't like the score, they'd send the higher old version score, no?
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,988 Senior Member
    edited September 5
    The new SAT [given in 2016] was harder at the tippity top end of the scale (small mistakes hit hard on points). The new SAT is close or slightly easier for kids in the middle range of scores and easier on the low end.

I think that they scaled the first concordance tables to the low/med range to hid the disparity. It may be that the have scaled the SAT this year (after seeing all the results) to be more consistent - and that may be another reason for new concordance - the new concordance is for the newly scaled tests given this year vs last year (Class of 2017).
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,696 Senior Member
    That could be true that the later new SAT test are more difficult than the first few. I have seen a big drop in the mid 50 of new SAT this year versus last year at least in one school. Nevertheless, the sample size with new SAT score was very small last year that the mid 50 may be not an accurate reflection of the class.