right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

SAT Score

runna67runna67 45 replies15 threads Junior Member
I'm applying to MIT, along with some other top schools, and received a 1560 on my new SAT
(790 M, 770 RW- 37 R and 40 W)
Essay score was 8/8/8
Should I consider retaking?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SAT Score

• YoLololololYoLolololol 366 replies28 threads Member
    Lol yes, MIT will reject all applicants who do not score 1600.
    · Reply · Share
  • DaedricSaiyanDaedricSaiyan 403 replies16 threads Member
    I mean you could, but you shouldn't.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhodiumbrainrhodiumbrain 1 replies0 threads New Member
    you had a very good score bro,i suggest you try applying to MIT first
    · Reply · Share
  • runna67runna67 45 replies15 threads Junior Member
    I understand that it's a very good score and that it won't keep me out of MIT. I know they accept many applicants around the score range I have now. Even so, would a better score improve my chances at all? Or is there truth to the statement that once you hit a certain marker the score does not matter?
    · Reply · Share
  • ThinkOnThinkOn 534 replies1 threads Member
    @runna67 I recommend that you not retake and instead, focus on your essays and recommendation. I am of the camp that once you hit a certain marker, your objectives have been met.
    · Reply · Share
  • AnimeMangoAnimeMango 115 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I agree with @ThinkOn . Once you reach a certain score, they don't particularly care about a few points here and there. And your score is already great btw. I have heard from multiple college admissions officers that scores are used to "filter" applicants out. They have a minimum score, and they look at applicants with that score and above, and tend to ignore the others. That's mainly what your score is used for- to get you through the first round of "screening" if you will.
    · Reply · Share
  • DaedricSaiyanDaedricSaiyan 403 replies16 threads Member
    I can say that, for any student that doesn't get in to MIT and had a 1550+ SAT, his/her SAT had no impact on the rejection. It was something in the other 90% of the application.

· Reply · Share
  • marvin100marvin100 8568 replies1249 threads Senior Member
    There is nothing--ZERO--to be gained by taking it again, and at the very least, there is a time cost to doing so. You should perform the cost-benefit analysis yourself, but since there is (again!) ZERO to be gained, I presume you'll find it pretty easy to decide not to bother re-taking it.

Well done, btw. If you don't get into MIT it won't be because of your SAT score.
    · Reply · Share
  • runna67runna67 45 replies15 threads Junior Member
    Okay okay, that's what I was thinking, I guess I just needed some reaffirmation. Thanks to all who responded!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity