Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Must You Submit All SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject Test Scores

14567810»

Replies to: Must You Submit All SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject Test Scores

• drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,508 Senior Member
    ^Of the small number of colleges that still have any kind of "all scores" rule, only Georgetown requires all subject tests; for every other "all scores" college you can choose which subject tests to send, and that includes Yale, Carnegie Mellon and Cornell.

Note, your question seems to assume Cornell requires all SATs if you send SATs. Cornell accepts score choice for both SATs and subject tests. It requires all ACTs if you choose to submit any ACTs.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,505 Senior Member
    Yale and CMU require all scores from EITHER SAT or ACT. Not both. It's OK not to submit both tests - you just have to submit all administrations of whichever test you choose to send. If you submit both, you must submit all administrations of both.

GTown much simpler: You need to send them every administration of the ACT, SAT and subject tests.
  • dreambig55dreambig55 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm so frustrated because my son is planning to apply to CMU. He received a 1600 on the November SAT, but as part of a state graduation requirement, he is required to take the SAT in April 2019 at school when all juniors take it. Obviously, I expect he will score much the same, but wasn't planning to do any prep or practice tests like he did for November. I'm just irritated that he HAS to take it again in the first place and because there is the rule about submitting all of the scores, it will have to be submitted to CMU. Hopefully if is score is lower the 2nd time, it won't be by much or hurt him in any way (I know they'll look at the highest, but still.....). Thanks for letting me vent :)
  • bigfandavebigfandave Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    What State required mandatory SAT testing from a student?

Just be “sick” that day.

That is incredulous.

Moreover, why would any state proscribe a specific test date?

• dreambig55dreambig55 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @bigfandave if he is sick that day, he either has to take it on a makeup day or take it as a senior with all of the juniors the following April. I was hoping to use the sickness card. The SAT is a new state requirement this year (Illinois). In the past, there was always some exam that was required in order to graduate. In the past it was the Prairie State Exam, then PARCC (I forget what that stands for), then the ACT and now the SAT.
    edited December 2018
    Have him take it as a senior with all the juniors the following April - by then he'll have his CMU decision. With a 1600 there is nowhere else to go but DOWN.

In MN the public schools are required to offer ACT but if you have an ACT or SAT on file already you are off the hook. Are you sure IL is mandatory for the STUDENT to take it in-school (as opposed to the district offering it)? I had to check our state law on this issue in order to advocate for my daughter who didn't want to take the ACT and already had an SAT on file with her HS counselor.
    edited December 2018
    Illinois requires students to take the SAT on the state applicable date for it regardless of whether the student has another SAT test already. There are currently more than 20 states that have a state test day for either the SAT or ACT that differs from the national test days. The states are using the results of those tests to establish compliance with Federal no-child-left behind laws. Whether showing that you have already taken the test can excuse abscence depends on state. Calling off sick cannot work at some them because they have make-up days.
    edited December 2018
    Boo. I'd have a word with the GC. Have them help you put it off till after the CMU app. is in.
    edited January 13
    UCs have dropped their all scores requirement. The applicable website page now merely "encourages" but does not require sending all SAT scores http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination-requirement/index.html. That now leaves six colleges with an all scores requirement: Georgetown (for all SAT, ACTs and subjects tests), Yale (for all SATs or ACTs, or all of both if decide to send both, but score choice accepted for subject tests), Carnegie Mellon (same as Yale), Barnard (for either all SATs or all ACTs), Cornell (for all ACTs if you choose to submit ACT, but score choice accepted for SATs and subject tests), and Syracuse (for all SAT scores)
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    edited January 13
    @jbstillflying @drusba @bigfandave @DREAMBIG55 Adding to the Illinois mandated junior year SAT test info --- there are designated make-up days, but sitting for the test is required to not only graduate, but also to move on to 12th grade, so postponing it until post-CMU application strategy won't work. The rules are pretty onerous.
    edited January 14
    @Mwfan1921 - Does the mandated SAT show up on your College Board account? I guess if yes, the next question would be "when?"
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    @JBStillFlying

The state mandated test is just like any other SAT test administration....students find out the score thru their collegeboard account in 4-6 weeks. For some students this will be the only SAT/ACT test they take, as it’s free, and typically administered in spring of junior year on a school day.
14567810»