Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ACT Testing Wrongly Accusing Cheating 2017

1212223242527»

Replies to: ACT Testing Wrongly Accusing Cheating 2017

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,288 Senior Member
    I would also go to the school and ask if they even care that his score was cancelled. I recall reading on this thread last year that many colleges told the student not to worry about it and that it wouldn't impact their acceptance/matriculation.
  • kf123456kf123456 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    He is going to talk to his advisor. He is not on an ACT scholarship, he is however an athlete and I don't want anything to jeopardize him that...not even sure if this is one of the schools we had his scores sent to. I am trying to find the original ACT letter they sent.
    I just don't understand why they waited so long and why question a 4 point jump? We have letters coming from his highschool to send in...this is just crazy!!
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,952 Senior Member
    edited November 13
    Talking to the advisor is the right first step. If he didn't send the scores to the school then it's probably not even an issue. Other than this being just amazingly infuriating, it might have no impact.

A score send report can be found on his ACT portal.

It's absurd to question a 4-point jump unless they have evidence that someone nearby has a very similar pattern of answers. If your son's school has no issue with this I'd 1) ignore their threats and/or 2) tell them to take a hike (or rephrase to your level of comfortable profanity. Mine, unfortunately, would be pretty bad!).
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,353 Senior Member
    @JBStillFlying , I think it matters depending on the college and if the student was awarded any scholarship based on an ACT score. I personally know a woman (mentioned many pages back) whose son plays sport at a D1 school. In his case, he got the letter during his first semester and had to retake to satisfy ACT. If he hadn't, he risked losing his scholarship.
  • OutlanderOutlander Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Many years ago I worked on-campus for my university's NCAA Eligibility Coordinator. Your son should check with him/her to double check whether that ACT score was used by the NCAA Eligibilty Center in certifying him as an eligible student athlete. It has been a long time, so I may not be remembering correctly, but if it was and ACT invalidates the score, he will need to submit another score to the NCAA that is high enough to meet the required ACT/SAT score, and until he does so could be deemed ineligible.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,353 Senior Member
    @Outlander , yes, that is the situation the woman I know mentioned. I forgot until you mentioned it. It really does cause huge problems.
  • cbmomcbmom Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Has anyone won there case against act when they did go to arbitration?
  • ktrrightsktrrights Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    I would love to hear what you did to win. Congratulations!
  • CyurichCyurich Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son is going through this right now. He is accused of cheating due to statistically similar answers. Among other many many reasons this is false, he was sitting in FRONT of and diaganol from the other student. How does someone repeatedly turn around and look at someone else’s test without notice? We appealed and were told they were going with the stats. He graduates this May and he has no other option but to retake this test even though he hasn’t prepared for it in nine months. Why wait so long, ACT, to let us know? Is there anyone who has contacted an attorney for a class action law suit? There is absolutely no reason with today’s technology for ACT to not be able to provide each student with an individual test in order to make sure this doesn’t happen again.
  • ktrrightsktrrights Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    reach out to calkymom 2 posts above . They just won arbitration.
  • cbmomcbmom Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Can you give details on how you won arbitration?What proof did you show,etc
    Congrats!!!!