Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I take the August SAT? (Recent Sophomore, Going to be Junior Upcoming School Year)

TiniWafflesTiniWaffles Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I was planning on self-studying for the SAT during the summer and taking it this August. Does this seem like a viable plan? My last day of my sophomore year was today and I will be a junior in September.

Replies to: Should I take the August SAT? (Recent Sophomore, Going to be Junior Upcoming School Year)

• annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 919 Member
    Yes. DD took it during the first available date in her junior year (October ??) Given there is Aug test date, I think it is a better option. However, have you looked into the test center? When I checked for my part of NJ, DD has to travel to PA..
  • CannkatCannkat Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    What math/english classes did you take this previous year? If you haven't taken a high enough one you may end up having to teach yourself the concepts instead of it just being a review. I'd recommend taking a practice test or something early in the studying to identify things that you have absolutely no clue about.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,558 Senior Member
    Just an FYI: my daughter had an ugly stomach bug the day before the June SAT. I called College Board, trying to switch to the August date.

The nearest opening was 33 miles away. We're on Long Island; we would have had to go over the Throgs Neck Bridge, through the Bronx, to Mamaroneck. It would have taken 42 minutes with no traffic--- and there's NEVER "no traffic" in the Bronx. I decided to let her take her chances, and she felt much better the following morning and took the exam.

Don't count on being able to find a testing site nearby!!! My guess is that they're having difficulty finding proctors over the summer.

Besides, if you're entering Junior year you have tons of time. Why not wait a bit?
  • poniac9poniac9 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I'm in a similar situation, I plan on studying this summer and taking it in August (depending on if I actually improve my practice test scores). If you're able to get a fee waiver, then use it to register as soon as possible. This will prevent having to travel far for a test center and is essentially risk-free as you can simply cancel and use another fee waiver for a later date. ($0!). If you don't have a fee waiver available, you should spend 57$ (or w/e it is) and register ASAP to prevent the travel issue only if you're not willing to drive further away than usual to take it. If you're fine with travelling a few extra miles (if test centers are full, which they might be as the deadline approaches), then save your money for now and register later
  • TiniWafflesTiniWaffles Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks for your response! I was able to get a fee waiver and I'm pretty sure my testing center will be close to me. If I take the test in August, do I register as a 10th or 11th grader?
  • poniac9poniac9 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I'm guessing you'll be in 11th grade when the 2017-2018 school year starts? If so, then 11th grade. I don't remember this being a question on the registration section? It might already be saved in your account profile on the CollegeBoard website.
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    That's weird @bjkmom. I would expect there to be like a million test centers on Long Island. Maybe they recently updated them because I live in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY and there are like 5 within a half hour of me (never any traffic here). Hope she did well in June.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,923 Senior Member
    I say if you feel prepared, do it in August. Junior year is busy. I am a test prep tutor and my rising-junior son would be doing the ACT this summer if it was offered.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,412 Senior Member
    Definitely take it in August. Why not take advantage of the summer to study? It seems like a no-brainer. Our S19 is up to his eye-balls in homework and XC in the fall so having free time in the summer to focus on the SAT is perfect. As long as you've had enough math (S19 just finished Pre-Calc Honors), I say go for it. Plus, there's so much more time to take the SAT again if needed...and you've killed two birds with one stone since you'll be ready for the PSAT as well. Good luck!

ps. I did sign him up for the August test date right when College Board opened that test date. I have heard that our two closest testing locations are closed now...
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,558 Senior Member
    Right. I strongly suspect that, at this point in time, it will be difficult for many kids to find a local testing location.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,690 Senior Member
    edited June 17
    It probably still depends on location. For instance, OP may just live 33 miles from you and near that test center still available. Last time I checked, half of the test centers within 25 miles are still available in my area. But definitely one should not wait if one has determined to take the August test.