Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is it bad to not take the PSAT 8/9?

Replies to: Is it bad to not take the PSAT 8/9?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,517 Senior Member
    edited August 20
    Practicing too far ahead is a waste of time. And there is an "opportunity cost". Every minute you spend studying for something you will forget anyway because it is so far away, or fretting over college selection when you are 3 years away from applying is time you aren't spending building interesting and amazing ECs.
  • futurecollege00futurecollege00 Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    I'm not interesting or amazing enough for interesting and amazing EC's
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,248 Senior Member
    The effort you're putting into coming up with reasons why you can't do anything could instead be put into pursuing something that interests you.
    Nothing interests me. If I were a color I'd be beige.
    How do you think that'll look on a college app?
    Yes, like that's going to be the entirety of my personal statement.
    I'm saying you're so preoccupied with jumping ahead in classes, which other people have already told you is not all that necessary -- and yet what do selective schools look at when the grades and scores are up to par, *as almost every applicant's are*?

They look at ECs and the essay. If I believe you on this thread, you're not involved in anything and have nothing to say about it.

On another thread, though, you said, "I have interests. I am interesting." So what's the doom and gloom about? Just dramatics?
    I am involved in stuff. I have stuff to say about it, but none of it's super impressive and going to get me in anywhere. It's not like I published a book or started a global nonprofit organization or discovered the newest cancer treatment that has a 90% survival rate or anything. My confidence and anxiety levels change on a daily basis. I said that before, believing it, but now I feel like I suck.
    It's not like I published a book or started a global nonprofit organization or discovered the newest cancer treatment that has a 90% survival rate or anything.

And who has??
    I don't know, probably like half the incoming freshman at Harvard? I mean to say that my ECs are interesting to me, they're a big part of my life, and probably some people would find them pretty interesting, too, but none of them are impressive. Top schools only want people who have done amazing things. I do fun and meaningful things, but they don't elicit the response "seriously? How did you even do that? Do you even sleep?" (Not that gratification from my peers is that important to me). But nothing is "wow-worthy"
    I don't know, probably like half the incoming freshman at Harvard?

...what? Are you being serious? It should be very obvious to you that that's not true.

my ECs are interesting to me, they're a big part of my life, and probably some people would find them pretty interesting, too

Then A) stop claiming they're not, and B) you'll do fine. You may or may not get into the most selective schools. An OVERWHELMING majority of smart, accomplished applicants DO NOT. But if you choose your college list well, you'll still go somewhere you can afford.
    You took that quote out of context. I'm looking from the perspective of an admissions officer about my ECs, and the view isn't too good from there.
    If you think half of Harvard's freshman class has cured cancer, how do you know what admissions officers want to see?
    Obviously, that was an exaggeration. I know that they want to see a concentrated focus and achievement in one area. They want significant accomplishments that make you stand out.
    You have three years left. You can have "significant accomplishments" if you try.

That doesn't mean whining about why you can't do it. That means just going and doing it.