Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Retake ACT for the 4th time for Scholarship Consideration?

SmirkySmirky Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey there! I just joined the website, and it's very cool to see so many other people getting involved with the college search. Very excited to be in the Class of 2018, and eager to see what lies ahead!

So far, I've already been fortunate enough to receive general admission to The University of North Texas, Texas State University and The University of Kansas, and I'm waiting on two other schools to respond to my applications that I've already submitted. On top of all of this, I plan on auditioning for each respective college of music to pursue performance, with North Texas as my top choice currently. Amidst all of the chaos, however, I've also already been fortunate to receive the "KU Distinction" Scholarship from Kansas, valuing at $24,000 ($6,000/yr)! This brings me down to about to same cost as I would have to pay for in-state tuition here in Texas, and that's something that I personally am super excited about! :)

However, Kansas has another scholarship that I could potentially qualify for, which is the "KU Excellence" Scholarship that's valued for over $43,000, which would immensely impact my college search. In order to qualify, I need to have at least an ACT score of 28. I already meet the GPA requirements for both scholarships, but despite taking the ACT a whopping three times already, I need to raise my score by a couple of points in order to grasp the scholarship. My past three exams have all scored between a 24-26.

I feel like I have nothing to lose in retaking the ACT for a fourth and final time in hopes of potentially receiving a higher scholarship from Kansas, but knowing that there are multiple choices out there, I've questioned as to whether or not it's necessarily worth the investment to retake the ACT one more time. As I mentioned, my top choice is currently UNT due to their excellent music program, and for the promotion of diversity and inclusion that I've seen from the school. On top of extracurricular activities, such as choir and our school's musical, as well as academics, the ACT is going to add onto the stress that has already built up to be my senior year. I'm genuinely curious to see what others might have to say about my situation, so this is where you guys come in! ;)

I'm leaning towards taking the ACT for one final time this October, as there isn't another exam before Kansas' deadline on December 1st to let admission know of any changes to my score, so I really got just one shot at raising my composite score. Again, I already have so many other things going on, and I know that this would just add a pretty good deal of stress onto my fall semester to prepare for the test again. I took it three times over my junior year, so it's not as if I'm inexperienced, but it has been a while, so I'll need to commit a lot of time to review the testing procedures and strategies within the next month.

I know it might seem like a no-brainer, but it's something I've gone back and forth on. What do you guys think? Is it worth retaking to try and grasp this scholarship, or should I just settle in with the current amount that I've already been awarded by the university? I would appreciate some insight!

If you read all the way to the end, then I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedules to read this. Have a great day!

Replies to: Retake ACT for the 4th time for Scholarship Consideration?

• LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 764 Member
    Agree that you have nothing to lose (other than $42.50 if you don't need the Writing portion-- check before you register! -- and a Saturday morning) by trying the ACT one more time. It's nice to have options. Don't kill yourself with test prep; just do a timed run-through or two of each section to refamiliarize yourself with the test.
  • OriginalSmotherOriginalSmother Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    I have two thoughts. First, how much did you prep before the last three times that you took the ACT? If you really prepped a lot, you may not see the improvement you are hoping for this time. But if you didn't put that much effort in before and are able to now pinpoint your weaknesses, you may be able to put in the work to bring your score up to a 28. And secondly, how likely would you choose Kansas over UNT if you qualified for the higher scholarship? If you think UNT is your school and those two ACT points don't gain you more money there, then there may be better use of your time.

My son just sat for his 4th ACT last Saturday. He wasn't exactly thrilled to take the test again, but we decided it was the best bet to put himself in position for the most money at his top choice school. Also, he had only prepped on his own at home before, and this time he took a week long boot camp. He'll find out next week if it was worth the extra time and stress.

All that to say, you know your situation best. Do what makes the most sense for you.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,338 Super Moderator
    I agree it would be worth trying if you're willing to put in the time to practice.