Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Navigating the college testing terrain

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,351 Senior Member
"... For sophomores, the PSAT (the shorthand name for the test) is like an early test-drive, a low-stress chance to see how the full-sized SAT will look and feel. And for its part, ACT now offers a PreACT which high schools can opt to administer at any point during 10th grade. Sophomore year can be when students gauge how well-equipped they are to handle the college admission testing terrain ahead.

As juniors approach the PSAT, however, they should be planning their next turn. The exam plays no role in college admissions, but it’ll be the last official standardized test for which that can be said. And with PSAT results not due back until mid-December, juniors should start charting their course now. After the 11th grade PSAT, students tend to follow individual paths, for good reason." ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/10/10/navigating-the-college-testing-terrain/?utm_term=.c9f59859c906

Replies to: Navigating the college testing terrain

• 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    edited October 10
    Article assumes (probably correctly) that Juniors initially take the SAT/ACT during the Spring of their Jr. yr. Which seems to conflict with those of us CC posters (w/Jr students) who overwhelmingly do summer prep & take a fall SAT admin or the new August admin prior to taking the 11th grade PSAT. Seems that CC posters are outliers to traditional standardized test prep & testing. I did find it interesting that the scores have increased and the number of NMFs have increased.
  • LvMyKids2LvMyKids2 Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    Yes, I think this article is for the "non-CCer".....most parents and kids that seem to be on CC take these tests and seem to be on board alot earlier. Both my kids prepped for the ACT in the summer...took it in the Fall (one and done) and then prepped a bit for the PSAT.

I will have to re-read the article on the NMF increase...I thought that was a fixed number per year....doesn't move.
    @4MyKidz the NMF numbers in terms of number of students getting NMF were NOT up. I think it meant that the cut off numbers (the SI numbers) rose. Example: California cut off for NMSF for the class of 2017 was 221 and now it is 222 for the Class of 2018. I think "smarter" kids...
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    @LvMyKids2 Thx for pointing that out. You are correct. It's kind of too bad because we live in TX where the cut off is really high. I wonder if kids are actually "smarter" or if the test is easier or is scored in a way where scores are higher than before...
    I doubt that kids are smarter. I am not sure why that is. I too, live in a state that has a high cut off. Maybe we should both move to North Dakota!!! :)