right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Is my SAT score good enough for ivies?

studylife00studylife00 9 replies7 threads Junior Member
I took the March SAT and got 1530(740R & 790M) and improved by 50 points. I’m planning to take the August one as well, but I want to know how good my sat score is. My school is really competitive so there’s already a perfect sat score in my class. It’s really hard to know whether my score is good enough or not because of that
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is my SAT score good enough for ivies?

• Trixy34Trixy34 1182 replies6 threads Senior Member
    So, let me get this straight. You have a 1530 and want to take it for a third time?
    · Reply · Share
  • studylife00studylife00 9 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Yes.. my family wants me to. That’s why I’m confused if it’s good or not because people around me told me that 1530 is just “not bad”
    · Reply · Share
  • astute12astute12 675 replies9 threads Member
    1540 is average score for Harvard. You can definitely try again, or try the ACT and see how you do there. If you are studying and really think you can up it, go ahead. But do not take it more than 3 times! Also scores get you in the door of the admissions process, but after that it's grades and ECs and magic lol!
    · Reply · Share
  • Trixy34Trixy34 1182 replies6 threads Senior Member
    Honestly, I don't know. It's an excellent score, but there are many, many students with excellent scores. I think it's pretty safe to say, though, that your admission to an ivy is not going to depend on 30 more points gained on a third try. And what if you take it again and score lower? Then where would you be? It's really not my business, but if you were my child, I'd be taking you out to dinner and celebrating your success, and I would tell you to move on to things you enjoy doing. But I personally don't care if my kid gets into an ivy because I actually would rather see him go to a smaller school where he can get a good liberal arts education where he's taught by teachers in small classrooms and not large lecture halls with TAs, or, if he knows what he wants to do, a school where he can get a degree in his preferred field. My advice would be to focus on what makes you unique. I think you'll get a better response from being authentic than by obsessing over test scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    It is a good score, while most of the rejected students have good score too.
    · Reply · Share
  • cbjs44cbjs44 65 replies12 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    First of all, a 1530 is an AMAZING score - you must be in a very competitive area to have doubts... Second of all, once you're above 1500 it's all pretty much the same. I have a 1580 and have been seeing people with lower scores getting into colleges I was rejected from. Focus on more holistic aspects of your application at this point, and congrats! You should be extremely proud of that score.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • ccfk1221ccfk1221 140 replies0 threads Junior Member
    tell your family it wont make any difference 1530 vs 1600 - if you dont get into top schools it wont be because of sat
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    It is not that it would not make a difference with a higher score, it is just that it would not make very significant difference. So it is just not really justify for the effort to retake the test. SAT 1530 is within the mid 50 of most competitive schools. It does not really stand out. Higher score would still help a little bit in admission and will help a lot in merit scholarships at many public schools.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity