Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Can I take AP exams as a college freshman?

AstronomerOneAstronomerOne Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hello,

I would love to take around 18 AP exams next year to see if I can make 5s on all of them. High school was an absolute failure (sub-par scores).
TY

Replies to: Can I take AP exams as a college freshman?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 34,585 Super Moderator
    edited May 29
    Presumably, yes. Although why one would want to spend $1700 to do so is beyond me.
    College and post-high school students may take the AP exam only if they can find a high school willing to admit them. Only the college can let you know whether or not you can obtain credit for an AP exam. Students register for the AP exams through their high school. If you want to take an AP Exam, you must locate a school willing to test you. Once you locate a school willing to administer the exams, that school's AP Coordinator is responsible for ordering your exam materials, telling you when and where to appear for the exams, and collecting your fees (which he or she may negotiate to recover additional proctoring or administration costs). Please contact the AP Coordinator about financial aid information.

Bear in mind, the schools are not obligated to accommodate you.
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/8684168/#Comment_8684168
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 942 Member
    Can you take an AP exam more than once? Not sure.
    Can you take an AP exam more than once?
    Sure.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 4,020 Senior Member
    $1700 to get pretty much all your gen-ed's waived? Not a bad deal (assuming that's the purpose of taking AP exams as a college freshman). OP would need to confirm that the college will accept AP scores taken after high school. Perhaps he/she is doing a gap year and so won't be enrolled yet.
    $1700 to get pretty much all your gen-ed's waived?
    Assuming the college allows gen ed requirements to be waived with AP scores and assuming the OP plans to graduate in fewer than 8 semesters and assuming that the OP can score high enough to get AP credit. All are assumption not borne out in the original post.
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,543 Senior Member
    The colleges that are likely to accepts such scores might also be willing to accept credits for CLEP tests too, and logistically that would be an easier prospect.