Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Prep for a Poor Test Taker

dcolosidcolosi Registered User Posts: 404 Member
My D is going into her Junior year and taking the SAT for the first time in August. She is not a good standardized test taker. Her PSAT scores were right at benchmark and we are in Indiana and just found out she failed her ISTEP. Both sections by 2 points. She has a 4.0 GPA but she is a very slow reader and struggles on timed tests. I now on the PSAT she didn't finish the reading part and on the ISTEP I don't know that she finished both sections either.

She does good with tutors so we are looking at getting her help to prepare for the SAT. Any suggestions for test prep for someone who is a slow reader?

Also, the one school she really is interested in doesn't super score so she will feel more pressure knowing that she has to do well on the entire test in one sitting.

Replies to: Prep for a Poor Test Taker

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    edited June 12
    I don't have specific recommendations for test prep, but would suggest you network locally to find a tutor. Many people aren't born being good test takers, but many students can make improvements by practicing, just like anything. Working with a tutor, doing lots of sample problems and even a practice test or two (some tutor firms near me offer practice tests on weekends) will help tremendously. She is clearly smart and can do this. SAT is likely to be a better choice than ACT for your daughter, as ACT is more a test of speed (similar content, but more questions per minute).

You mentioned she has one target school in mind, but there are also standardized test optional schools that could be good options. Good luck!
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,417 Super Moderator
    Go to the SAT Prep forum https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/ and look at the pinned threads for Silver Turtle's and Xiggi's methods.
  • dcolosidcolosi Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    Thanks. I'll check those out.