Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What A Perfect Score Can – And Can’t – Do for Your Future

If you're striving for a perfect ACT or SAT score, first know what it can do for your future, and what it cannot. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/what-a-perfect-score-can-and-cant-do-for-your-future

Replies to: What A Perfect Score Can – And Can’t – Do for Your Future

• jmk518jmk518 Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    In engineering the expressions that come to mind are "perfect is the enemy of good" and "shoot the engineer and ship it"
  • mmk2015mmk2015 Registered User Posts: 596 Member
    You're saying it's sometimes wise to underachieve.

With all do respect, that is horrible advice.

I would rather take my chances with overachievements than underachivenebts in this way too competitive world.
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 1,420 Senior Member
    The thing that perfect scores will help most are scholarships. If you don't have to chase every scholarship penny then once your scores are in a good range you should focus your energy on more important things.
  • makemesmartmakemesmart Registered User Posts: 850 Member
    If you could get perfect scores in one sitting, that’s a pretty darn good achievement. If not, I agree with @TiggerDad pass a certain threshold of your targeted schools is a good way of using limited times.
  • jmk518jmk518 Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    @mmk2015 if your comments is in response to me, that is not what I'm saying or meant by those expressions. Forgive me if you are responding to the OP.
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    A perfect score in one sitting will at the minimum draw a little bit extra attention from AO, either you are Asian American or not. It is hard to believe that a perfect score will hurt an Asian American applicant.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,784 Senior Member
    Increasing scores by repeating tests shows only that a student has improved their test-taking skills, nothing else. Score chasing for merit makes sense, but it does not indicate that a student has improved their general aptitude in a subject area. +1 to @TiggerDad's post.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    Do colleges see if you sent all SAT scores or not? How are they aware that a student achieved a perfect score in one sitting?
  • whataboutcollegewhataboutcollege Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    I am curious whether there is any statistic to show the average number of sittings for perfect one setting scorers. I, for whatever reason, don't think that average is high.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    @hzhao2004

I wasn't talking about those who have the happy ability to score perfect on first sitting.

For that reason, @mmk2015, I wasn't "advising" about intentionally "underachieving." The article is about "What A Perfect Score Can – And Can’t – Do for Your Future." If you can get the perfect score on first sitting, that's great. My comments were addressed to those who think of achieving perfect scores as a necessary pre-requisite to successful admissions to top schools. Wouldn't hurt but certainly NOT a pre-requisite in today's holistic admissions environment.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,406 Senior Member
    @yucca10, I believe the Common App has you self-report scores. It asks you to list the date of the test and all of the subscores for that date, so they would know that way. They would also know when they look at the official test score that is sent.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 730 Member
    Ah, I was thinking of not "one sitting" but "first try". But the colleges won't really know whether the score was achieved on the first try or fifth?
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 3,486 Senior Member
    edited September 24
    +1 to what Tiggerdad said. And we had similar cutoffs and were shooting for competitive merit. D hit our targets on the first try and then she focused on polishing her applications. She definitely was capable of a perfect or near perfect score and it wouldn’t have taken much studying since she studied little to begin with. But it was her essays that got her invited to compete for the competitive merit scholarships. Those are what made her stand out. Her test scores were in the ball park just like all the other competitive applicants.
  • LvMyKids2LvMyKids2 Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    well schools will know if you are required to send in all scores and only send in one, and it is perfect. Both my kids got perfect scores - one try. Everyone said "oh you have your choice of any school" WRONG, and my kids knew that. It was the rest of their applications and essays and recs that helped. It is only one data point!