Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to boost my vocabulary skills?

PhysicsIsNotPhunPhysicsIsNotPhun Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
So on the ERW, my biggest problem is intricate vocabulary (like how I used a big word there??!). Like when the question asks for "(insert word)" can also mean A. B. C. D. and which one is it. Sometimes, the choices are just obscure words I have never heard of in my life so if anyone can give me tips on how to make my vocabulary better in a relatively short period of time, that would be amazing.

Replies to: How to boost my vocabulary skills?

• kasdnfjkasdnfj Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Questions like that tend to rely a lot more on context than on knowing the specific definition of words. I think it would be more worth your while to practice figuring out vocab within the context of a story than to spend hours memorizing words you probably won't see on the test. That being said, the best way to get a better vocabulary is reading or consuming media which uses higher levels of vocabulary.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    Reading a lot is the best way, but the fastest way is to memorize a few thousand of the most common words (there are ~6000 "SAT words" and most students already know 2-4000 of them). A motivated student can lock literally all the vocab down in under a month.
  • bako225bako225 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    read!!!
  • RuberiRuberi Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    What kind of books would you recommend that would be helpful with the SAT vocab?