Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Worth retaking SAT for T20 schools?

nikom814nikom814 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I took the November SAT and recently got my scores back. I got a 1540 overall and 770 for each section. I also got a 19/24 on the essay.
While the 770 for the ERW section was the highest I have gotten, the 770 for math was on the lower end of my practice tests. Is it worth retaking to increase the math score 20 points and improve the essay or is a 20-30 point boost in the total score negligible in college admissions for the top schools? Additionally, do colleges look at the Reading and Writing subscores separately or only the ERW score as a whole?
Thank you for the input in advance!

Replies to: Worth retaking SAT for T20 schools?

• makemesmartmakemesmart Registered User Posts: 851 Member
    I think this is a great score! (My DS got the same score, lol and we are done!) according to the conversion table, it is equitable to an ACT of 35!
    I would focus on subject tests course rigor and other aspects of your application. Congratulations!
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,363 Senior Member
    No, don't bother. It's a great score and already in the 99th percentile. That score wont be what keeps you out of any university. Focus on the rest of your application.
  • nikom814nikom814 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Bump. Can someone answer my second question? Thanks for the input so far!
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,051 Senior Member
    ^ It depends on the college - you should assume that the most selective ones look at subscores. On that front you have very little to worry about unless you are thinking MIT or similar. Still, if you are rejected it very likely won't be for your 770 math, since that concords to a 35 or so on the ACT (and their 25% is 34, not 35).
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,051 Senior Member
    ^^ Whoops - answered wrong question LOL. To answer the one OP actually DID ask, some colleges do break down all the sub parts of the test. Others don't. It's not clear that a 770 has a poor reading or writing section unless the scoring was wierd(?).
  • MaybeIvy2020MaybeIvy2020 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Depends on the college. My friend graduated last year and attends MIT with a 1450. 800 math, 650 English. But he also had near perfect AP scores and exceptional ECs. Your're SAT is more than great. Also, no colleges that I know of differentiate the reading from grammar on the sat: they look at your total score per section.

Just out of curiosity, what colleges are you/have you applied to?