Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PSAT scores matter?

2»

Replies to: PSAT scores matter?

• sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,129 Senior Member
    That's because the PSAT10 is easier.

Our school takes the PSAT/NMQT in 10th and 11th; as did our prior HS. I don't know anyone who didn't have significant score growth.
  • CCtoAlaskaCCtoAlaska Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    I mean her actual SAT that she took early was 100 points higher than her PSAT which should have been harder than the PSAT. But I wonder what happened to her friends whose PSAT 10 was so much higher than their PSAT 11. Hers went up but I can't remember by how much but dropping 100 points from 10th to 11th is a lot. They should be doing better or the same if they are learning more in school.
  • havenoideahavenoidea Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    @CCtoAlaska I hear you. And, for the first time, since seeing how one of our twins who we know is incredibly bright did on the 10th grade psat, I see that these tests do not a accurately reflect intelligence. They definitely favor kids with good memories who think and work fast under time pressure. And, yes, most kids hate them (I have one who sees it as just another competition they’re going to win!). But, we’re stuck with them, so, there it is..,,
  • makemesmartmakemesmart Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    I was told the “curve” (equating method used by CB) is tougher for PSAT taken on 10/24 (as compared to 10/10 testing date), missing one math could drop your score from 760 to 710 and similarly for EBRW.
    Also, since the full score of PSAT is 1520 while SAT is 1600, it is quite common to have higher scores on SAT than on PSAT.
    @makemesmart I was wondering if that was the case. There was a lot of hoopla about the math last year (my daughter took the June SAT and her math score was pretty low but I later heard it was a common experience). I forgot about the different scale. My 11th grader is trying to decide if she'll take the SAT again at all. Probably since she wants a higher math score to reflect. She's a CC to 4 year though, so she may never need the scores at all.
  • makemesmartmakemesmart Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    edited December 2018
    @CCtoAlaska
    Yes, I was told June/18 SAT had harsh “curve” too. Luckily we did August SAT and it seemed to be reasonable. Your DD still has time! Good luck.
    @makemesmart she has a lot of time. She was only taking it to see if she could get a 1200 to get into a summer program. She's only 13. She did score 1180 in her 7th grade talent search SAT so I figured she'd be fine. Her reading went up but her math tanked a lot so her score dropped a lot. She probably won't take it again for awhile.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,505 Senior Member
    Um . . . who is being forced to take these tests?
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    edited December 2018
    @JBStillFlying in S17's district, they now have every student in the district take the PSAT during school hours, free of charge, starting in the 8th grade. S17 took it every year of high school starting 9th grade. D21 goes to a different school (oddly enough, much more competitive and much higher SAT scores) and it's offered only to 10th & 11th graders, it's optional, on a Saturday morning and we have to pay for it if she takes it. I think a lot of districts are trying to get the kids multiple practice runs so they can publish higher mean SAT scores of their junior class for rankings.
  • surrealshocksurrealshock Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    The 9th/10th gr PSAT scores do not matter
2»