Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I didn't do that good on the ACT...

fidgetboss4000fidgetboss4000 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
Predictions for December ACT:
WCS (worst case scenario):
27E, 33M, 25R, 30S (29 composite)

BCS (best case scenario):
30E, 34M, 27R, 32S (31 composite)

Note that my composite might be as low as 28 if i'm that unlucky

I'm only a freshman, so I have a lot more chances.
As an Asian child, I want to make it to Ivy League schools or Top 20, but I failed the ACT this time.

So, any tips on improving?
English was generally straightforward but I wasn't sure about 5-7 questions, which is why I expect only 27-30, given that the English test was also relatively easy.
Math was a lot harder than the usual practice tests (in which I get 34-35), and I guessed on 3 questions and might have made even more silly mistakes due to the rush. I finished with only 13 seconds left on the clock (our proctor had a timer on airplay), but at least I finished. Because of having to rush on the last ~10 questions, I felt that I might have made some silly mistakes. The only reason I gave myself a 33-34 is because the math test was unusually hard compared to the practice tests.
Reading felt VERY fast paced, and the Humanities paired passage got me stuck for quite a while. It got me stuck for so long that I only had 7 minutes to do the final science passage. Like math, I finished at the nick of time, probably because the last passage was pretty easy. The Prose Fiction, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences passages all felt pretty easy and straightforward, it was just the paired passage that gave me trouble. Since the test was probably average in difficulty compared to the other practice tests I took, I'd give myself a 25-28 for this section.
Science was relatively straightforward, but I didn't answer question 40 because I dropped my pencil near the end of the test. There were also a couple other questions I wasn't exactly sure of.

On a very general scale, my composite score could've been anywhere from 28-32 (depending on my luck).
My goal is at least 35, but that seems a bit far off considering my abilities right now.

Replies to: I didn't do that good on the ACT...

• KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,810 Senior Member
    why did you take the act as a freshman? Not sure the advantage. The act is a fast test so practicing pace is key. This is very overlooked. once you get that down take practice tests weekly for like 6 weeks before the tests. if you can get a tutor to hone down on where you need help is good also if you can afford it.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,677 Senior Member
    In the first place, predictions are just not relevant. That being said, you are only a Frosh. It will get a whole lot easier as you continue in HS as you move into upper division classes, particularly English and Math.

For example, the ACT-M tests precalc & trig. Have you completed that course yet? If not, unless you are a math prodigy, acing the Math portion ain't gonna happen -- yet.

Reading dry, boring essay and poems in HS helps you prepare for E & R.

Chill for a couple of years. Ask your GC to tell your 'rents that they are wasting their money for testing now.
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    Some Ivys and T-20 schools request all scores from High School. So while you should retest eventually, you might wait a bit and get used to the test through prep. Your high school curriculum will help as well. The ACT wasn't meant to be taken in 9th and while a rare few do blow it away at that grade level, the overwhelming majority don't. Give yourself a bit of time.

Also, be thinking about what else you can add to your application besides standardized testing. A high ACT won't be enough for your set of schools.
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 740 Member
    You will very naturally improve with good academics. My kid’s freshman score was 27 to 31 sophomore to 34 junior (and often scored better in practice. Thought he hit a hard math section in the test he took). And he only prepped a bit the last time.

You’re fine. Focus on academics and extracurricular activities.
  • fidgetboss4000fidgetboss4000 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    @3above I've competed in Mathcounts in midle school and am relatively good at math compared to the rest of the population
    i'm also in alg. ii
  • hw1102hw1102 Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    I went from a 22 to a 33 in a matter of months. English and math are just understanding the rules of the subjects and my scores tended to not fluctuate. However, with science and reading it comes down to luck and whether or not the overarching topics make sense to you. With the different passages and problems skip around and do the easiest ones first. A point is a point and all questions are equal. The best thing you can do is practice problems and test. Train you mind to learn how the questions are asked and what they want. You got this!!
  • fidgetboss4000fidgetboss4000 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    i actually got a 33
    i was too pessimistic
  • surrealshocksurrealshock Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    you are too young to worry. just focus on developing your passions and you will be good when the time comes.