Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Same score on ACT twice, should I retake to get a higher composite score?

neon_nhneon_nh Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
Hello I'm currently a junior in highschool and I am debating on whether to attempt the ACT one more time but I am scared I would get a lower score or the same score thrice. I plan on majoring in engineering more towards architectural, industrial & materials.

Score #1:
Composite: 31
English: 25
Mathematics: 35
Reading: 30
Science: 35
Combined English/Writing: 8/12

Score #2:
Composite: 31
English: 29
Mathematics: 31 (pretty disappointed in this subscore)
Reading: 31
Science: 33
Combined English/Writing: 8/12

My super score is a 33 (rounded up from a 32.5)

The colleges I plan to apply to are the UC's and the CalPoly's as well as Purdue, Virginia Tech and UIUC for out of state. I am somewhat satisfied with my score but my ideal composite score would be a 32 or 33 but i am doubting myself if i should aim for 1 or 2 points since I think I reached my limit on my score. I know the UC & CSU colleges don't superscore but I would have to send all my scores anyways. My parents want me to try again but I would like to have your opinion on this.

Replies to: Same score on ACT twice, should I retake to get a higher composite score?

• SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,766 Senior Member
    As a junior, I would give it a go, look at strategy in your weak area of English.. There is some really solid work you can do on grammar etc to pump this up. Google that. Some of your target schools will have higher average ACT scores in engineering. OOS applicants to good publics are held to a higher standard in some eng programs. Your ideal composite is a 33 or higher.
  • Questioning2772Questioning2772 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Do note in addition that ACT scores are delete-able on their website, you shouldn't be worried about getting a lower score but do try your best.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    The 35 in math and science is key. Getting your composite to 33/34 will make you more competitive. My son had the same issue as you but ended up with a 34 composite by working on his weakness and still keeping up with his strengths. You are just like 8 questions away or do. You can do this. If you can afford it a tutor for a few sessions can point out how to improve quickly. This is what we did.

Also do lots of practice tests. Over and over. It does work.
  • surrealshocksurrealshock Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    you should be good for the UCs
  • MomofJ5MomofJ5 Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    Buy an ACT study book and REALLY read and learn the grammar rules. Two of my science-math kids were stuck until they did this and they both ended up with 34s in English! This will actually help you throughout your whole life, as even math/science people need to write clearly and effectively.
  • neon_nhneon_nh Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    do you recommend any specific books, because I did buy the official one as well as a grammar book just for the ACT
    edited January 10
  • neon_nhneon_nh Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Actually I did have a tutor during the summer but it was a large class with 20 students and we focused on both tests (act & sat) I am planning on taking the April ACT after reading the comments as it will give me enough time to study. I would prefer to study myself using diagnostic tests etc but I will see if a private tutor is the right fit for me
    Tutor with 20 kids is a study class. A few sessions one on one can be well worth it if you can afford it
  • SwoleSoulSwoleSoul Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    @neon_nh

(ACT Tutor here) I would recommend investing in a book filled with practice tests. Doing one full practice test in a timed, quiet, and real-deal environment, and then going over what you missed and learning from your mistakes will be extremely beneficial in the standardized-test prep process. It will definitely help you improve your score.

In terms of the colleges you are applying to, your scores should be good for UIUC Industrial Engineering, but this may be difficult because you are OOS, and they are in the low-mid range for Purdue and VTech.
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    If you want to get your scores up, hire a reputable one and one tutor who can help with test strategy, etc, take lots of timed practice tests, and only take the ACT when you are absolutely ready to do better (based on practice test results). Note: some of the colleges on your list are the UCs who do not superscore the ACT so if you keep taking the test and happen to score lower in some of your other sections you are strong in it will not be positive. Treat this 3rd test very seriously as your final time taking it and be done.
    The theory is that you won't increase your score a third time. My son should then they were wrong. Again if you put the time in, it should be fine. UIUC.. Not easy for OOS. Don't expect any money, same with Purdue. You want to be 33/34 for both. Not easy to change majors at Illinois since you mentioned a few.

Look at Iowa State University, North Carolina State, Michigan State for starters. All would give good merit and have solid programs. University of Minnesota could be a possibility. Case Western. Colorado of the mines.