Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How would unbalanced test scores be viewed?

theWriter28theWriter28 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
Hi!
I got a 1460 on the SAT, which is mostly good enough for the schools I've applied to. My EBRW score was 780 and Math was 680. How would this 100-point difference in sectional scores be viewed?

As for other exams, I have 5's on AP Lang, Psych, and US History and a 770 on SAT Literature. But my math grades and rigor/number of math courses has not been nearly as good. All my ECs and essays concentrate around the humanities as well.

How will my tests be viewed by my reach schools schools (like UCD, UCSD, Middlebury, and Pomona)? Would they prefer a higher SAT score even if my EBRW was lower? And in general, how are highly unbalanced (in terms of interests and talents) applicants seen?

Thank you!

Replies to: How would unbalanced test scores be viewed?

• TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    It's hard to say how they will view it. I for one respect higher EBRW scores more than I respect higher math scores. High math scores are pretty common.

I guess if the question is whether your 1460 is preferable to a 1460 where someone got a 730 on each section, then perhaps the answer is maybe--I am very hesitant to give an answer. If I were an admissions officer I would prefer it because it shows that you are truly strong in one area as opposed to decent in two areas. I would reason that you can only major in one thing anyway so I would prefer to have a student who is really good at the thing he/she chooses than a student who is just good at that thing and also happens to be good at some other stuff. A 780 also jumps off the page more than two 730s.

I am admittedly not too familiar with admissions at the UCs though. I imagine this reasoning would apply more to Middlebury and Pomona which have a reputation for being more humanities focused anyway.
  • RichInPittRichInPitt Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    Are you applying to be an English major or an Engineering major? It would make a difference. Given your comments about grades/coursework, it sounds like your scores accurate reflect your profile.