Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do I convince my parents that I do not need to retake the SAT?

reallypanickedreallypanicked Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
Here's the background information:

I'm a current high school junior. Last semester, I took the ACT for the first time and received a 35. Despite this, my parents wanted me to take the SAT, which I recently did. I've had argument after argument with them about how taking the SAT was completely unnecessary in the first place, and how a 35 is good enough for most schools. They will not listen.

I don't feel too good about the SAT I took and I voiced my thoughts to my parents. Now, they want me to retake it for a better score if I do poorly on it. Assuming I received a poor score on the SAT, how could I convince my parents that it was already unnecessary for me to take it once, let alone twice?

Replies to: How do I convince my parents that I do not need to retake the SAT?

• wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,052 Senior Member
    Tell them that your time would be better spent using one of the upcoming SAT testing dates to take a subject test or two. That would do more to enhance your application and you can't take subject tests on the same date as the regular SAT.
  • Jedelm23Jedelm23 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    This type of situation happened with me. I took the SAT and did fine on it, but my parents wanted me to retake. I talked to my guidance counselor at my school and got them to email my parents saying that I would be totally fine with the score I got, and it seemed to do the trick.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,052 Senior Member
    @Lindagaf You are right that there are very few schools who require subject tests ( some of the tech schools do), but there are some who recommend or consider them. A strong subject test score can enhance an application, so I would not discount their value, especially for unhooked applicants
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,654 Forum Champion
    edited March 10
    Agree with the advice above.

Time is a limited resource. Your time would be much better spent studying for and doing well on SATII exams, excelling in the classroom, and on ECs you care about.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 812 Member
    edited March 10
    My S wanted to retake to get to that 36 when he had a 35, but the schools he targeted in 2018 didn't differentiate between a 35 or 36 in their automatic merit grids, so he skipped it. I did notice the merit bar did differentiate this year between a 35 v 36 at UAH, so if he'd been applying this year he might have tried again. Although the great Bama aid was back for 2019, so maybe not.

My point is, you should keep an eye on the schools you plan to apply to as they roll out updated application information next fall since some things change year to year. A fall retry might be in the cards if you do find a school that it makes a difference. Not for the tippy tops, but not everyone gets into those (even with a 36), so everyone applying to those should have a good backup plan.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,735 Senior Member
    @wisteria100 , I did suggest that the student could do subject tests, if desired. But I was emphasizing that I am only aware of one school, Georgetown, that requires them no matter what. I think a few other schools and some specialized programs require subject tests in addition to the ACT, including CalTech and MIT.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,172 Senior Member
    Depends on what college targets. The more competitive will look at ACT subscores, not just composite. And we don't know OP's sub scores.

Nor did she get back her SAT yet. Without knowing possible targets, none of us (including OP) even know what's good enough. Isn't this picture incomplete and the worrying premature?
  • reallypanickedreallypanicked Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    @lookingforward I am aiming (like most high schoolers on here) for a T20 school. My subscores are 35 for everything and a 34 for math. I agree that the worrying is a little premature, but I just want to be prepared for the inevitable discussion with my parents when my score comes out. They wish to see a 1550+ score, and I believe that is out of reach with how I felt about the test.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,735 Senior Member
    34 is excellent, especially in conjunction with the other sub scores. OP, if you really think you did badly on this most recent SAT test, you have to say so in writing and get it to College Board by 11:59 pm this Thursday. Honestly, a less than stellar score on the SAT you just took is not going to do your app any favors. Your parents need to understand that most, if not all T20 colleges are going to require all scores.

I agree 100% that a 35, or even a 34, is not going to be a determining factor in acceptance or denial.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,758 Senior Member
    OP, I HOPE you have applied to some safety schools, as well as to T20 schools.
    Even with a 35 ACT score, there are thousands of other students with the same score also applying to T20 colleges. Not everyone will get in.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,172 Senior Member
    Ok, that's a strong ACT. You're really fine and most T20 will be happy with that. But know that getting in is much more than scores or gpa. It's important to take some of this energy and see if you truly have the rest of the picture.

Did you register to send your SAT scores to any colleges yet? If not, you can order them later, if you like them.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,500 Senior Member
    Unless there is a specific target that lists a higher minimum test score (e.g. University of Alabama's Presidential Elite scholarship), it seems like a waste of time to try to boost a 35 ACT or SAT equivalent.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,446 Senior Member
    edited March 11
    What your parents have to know is that some kids do better on one type of test vs another. Your parents are putting their energy in the wrong place. Many Indian and Asian families tend to push their kids. I use to see this at Chess tournaments when my son was in them. Nothing was good enough. You could always do better. It's a culture thing. 35 is an amazing score, coupled with a good GPA and a great essay, will lead to some acceptances. As stated even the best students can get shut out. Look at and apply to some 20-30 ranked schools also. Usually the lower you go there more merit given. Plus there are some exceptional schools in the top 50. Take a look.