Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should You Take the SAT or ACT Before Your Junior Year?

If you're thinking about registering for the SAT or ACT before 11th grade, check out these considerations. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/should-you-take-the-sat-or-act-before-your-junior-year/

Replies to: Should You Take the SAT or ACT Before Your Junior Year?

• WilsonTimesWilsonTimes Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I preface my comment by stating, as said in the article, that there is no "one strategy" that fits everyone. That being said, for students who will be taking a few AP or IB classes their junior year AND who have already taken math up to pre-calculus, taking the ACT or SAT in July, August or September after their sophomore year can be a great idea.

While studying in the summer is never fun, there is usually ample opportunity. Putting in an hour a day for six-eight weeks may provide enough effort to get a solid ACT or SAT score. Waiting for second semester junior year might not be the best idea as your standardized testing study time will be limited by homework, tests, AP classes, AP exams, extra-curricular activites, sports, etc. AP and IB classes ususally require extra effort in homework and studying. Trying to ft in SAT or ACT studying with all the above can be very difficult.

It definitely depends on the individual student, but for those who will be extremely busy with schoolwork and other activities during the school year, studying over the summer might provide the best opportunity for high standardized test scores.
  • eaglerockdudeeaglerockdude Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited 11:50AM
    Definitely my child is a junior I bought an SAT test prep book, and a Kranse course, and told her about Kahn academy but as yet she has not started. I think mentally after doing all the things she needs to so(homework..she has AP classes and is a NHS member) based on her self time management, she is too overwhelmed to do it. I looked at the book myself..500 pages...jezus.
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 2,379 Senior Member
    I agree that if a student has completed pre-Calc, it is fine to take ACT or SAT at end of Sophomore year or beginning of junior year after prepping over the summer. So many schools now require juniors to take one or the other spring of junior year that it is great for that to be the 2nd (and hopefully final) attempt. It also provides feedback on the need to prep more over the summer for a 3rd attempt while still giving time for changes to the college list (if needed) before EA/ED deadlines.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 3,265 Senior Member
    All you need is geometry and algebra for the SAT/ACT , so taking it early is not much of an issue for advanced kids. There is no pressure when you are younger either with plenty of time to take it again.
  • scubadivescubadive Registered User Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I had both my kids take it at the beginning of sophomore with no prep and no warning. Both did excellent and it took the pressure off. From there they took it each year also no prep or warning. Both had superscores of 35 with no stress.