Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my options?

Ganna4Ganna4 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
I took the SAT for the first time in May and I got my scores back today. I got a 1390 and I’m not super happy with it so I plan on taking it at least one more time.

My question is, if I don’t take it again ( or if I do and don’t do much better) what are good colleges to look at/apply at that would accept that score.

If you need any other information to help make a guess feel free to ask. As of right now, I don’t know what I want to study or where I really want to go to school which is why I want to look into what my options would be so I can narrow it down from there.

Replies to: What are my options?

• HPuck35HPuck35 Registered User Posts: 1,973 Senior Member
    Many students that I know have benefited from taking it a second time. The first time can be somewhat of a shock as to how long the test really is. They aren't prepared for that length.

I'm not sure what I would study or if I would study at all. The best thing to do, IMHO, is get a good night's sleep the night before and a little while before that.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,918 Senior Member
    That’s not a bad score. In fact it’s pretty good. What schools were you considering? You’ll find that the vast majority of colleges in this country will have you well in their upper 25% mark.

Are you looking for substantial merit money? What is your family’s budget as to what they will pay each year for your college? What is your state school situation?

• Ganna4Ganna4 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    I’m not sure what colleges I really want.

My parents budget for me is about 40-45 per year so, depending on the school I would probably need some merit aid. Based off of my class rank at my high school I would be automatic admit to the state schools but, I think I would prefer not to go to them since they are so close to home.
    Large school? Small school? Major you are interested in. Abroad programs? What are some schools you have in mind?
  • Ganna4Ganna4 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    I think I’d prefer a smaller type school but I haven’t crossed big schools off completely. I have no clue what I would want to major and I have no specific schools in mind. I would love to have options to go abroad but it isn’t a necessity.
    Check out first year abroad Florida State. (FSU). You get in state rates when you get back!

$45k is an amount you can work with. So is that test score and gpa. You are in a good place
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    1) Take the test again. Study plenty beforehand.

2) There are plenty of very good schools that will take students with a 1390.

3) Do you know if you might be candidate for needs based aid? Most people are.

4) I would be sure to look at LACs. Many are overlooked to some extent and are therefore a little easier to get in relative to the quality of education offered.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,527 Senior Member
    Prepare specifically for the test, systematically reviewing your mistakes on practice tests.
    Higher scores - even +30 - can make a big difference in scholarships.