right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Talk to me about best ACT prep classes

Navy09momNavy09mom 87 replies4 threads Junior Member
Hi all. I have a current sophomore who has taken the ACT in 8th grade and then again this year for practice. He got a 34C with 35s in Math and Science, 32 in English and 33 in Reading (I think). I I think a prep class to bump up that score potentially could be huge for him. (he went in cold). Not sure what class is best; either online or at a center. Thanks in advance.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Talk to me about best ACT prep classes

• jumpman55jumpman55 7 replies0 threads New Member
    Online might be more convenient and cheaper
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher 236 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @Navy09mom

Speaking as an SAT tutor, online would be a waste if he already has these scores. So would most classes. Classes are designed for lower level students. Many who teach classes can't even score 35s themselves.

What year is your son? It sounds like he might be a freshman/rising sophomore. If so, I wouldn't worry about this now. He will become academically stronger over the course of HS and this will show on his ACT scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • midtntutormidtntutor 195 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I agree with @TheSATTeacher that, given your son's scores already, he needs a "live" tutor who can find the nit-picks and find those dark corners of the test that your son isn't mastering. Also, wait until at least end of 10th grade to pick up testing again. Every six more months you wait equals six more months of wiring that gets completed inside the brain of a teenage boy!
    · Reply · Share
  • Spyder13Spyder13 15 replies0 threads Junior Member
    A live tutor would be best, but first you should think about whether it's worth getting a tutor with a 34+ score.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity