right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Harsh curve on 2019 June SAT?

Bscolar2020Bscolar2020 31 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello everyone, I took the June 2019 SAT and a lot of test takers have been saying that the curve will be harsh. Do you guys think the college board will pull the same scaling as the June 2018 sat and kill our scores?
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harsh curve on 2019 June SAT?

• CaliforniaMommaCaliforniaMomma 20 replies19 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Is it curved? Can you explain how it works?

Jenn
    · Reply · Share
  • CAtransplantCAtransplant 531 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    The College Board says "We use a process that adjusts for slight differences in difficulty between various versions of the test (such as versions taken on different days)." Basically, if the test is easier at a certain sitting, your score will suffer more by missing fewer questions. If the test is harder, you can miss more and achieve a higher score. Something like that!
    · Reply · Share
  • damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Don't go by the rumor mill on Reddit. It's just an echo chamber of anxiety and complaints.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bscolar2020Bscolar2020 31 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Before every sat is administered they do a test run and compare it to other sat tests. They then scale the test BEFORE it is administered and the easier the test, the harsher the scaling. So on a hard test, 1 wrong might still be an 800, but on an easier test, 1 wrong will take you down to a 780 or for the June 2018 SAT, to around a 770(from what I’ve read/heard).
    · Reply · Share
  • SincererLoveSincererLove 749 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    DS20 has taken Dec 2018 test, 7 wrong in writing 31, 2 wrong in reading 38. Reading/writing 690. 7 wrong in math 680. I think those are all very harsh.

D17 took Jun 2016 SAT, 2 wrong on reading, nothing wrong on writing 750.

D17 said she decided to take Jun 2016test (new SAT available March 2016) as historically June curve is better, not sure if that is the case in the new SAT. Thoughts or comments?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 907 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited June 4
    I think it's important to understand that a student who finishes with a raw score in the top x% will receive a score of Y, regardless of the number of questions correct or incorrect.

Statements that "Z questions wrong resulted in a much lower score" have an implicit assumption that students would have had the same number of questions correct/wrong on every test. It just doesn't work that way. If the same number of wrong questions resulted in a lower score, then the test was easier and that student fell further down in relation to other students taking that test. There is not a fixed raw:scaled score correlation. here is a percentile:scaled score correlation.

Take any SAT test. Add 10 IMO-level math questions to it. Top students will get 12 wrong instead of 2 wrong. Middle students will get 19 wrong instead of 9 wrong. They performed "worse". And everyone will get the exact same score. Because they performed the same relative to other test takers.

Add 10 basic addition problems. Top students now get 68 of 70 rather than 58 of 60. Middle students get 61 of 70 rather than 51 of out of 60. They performed "better". And they will get the exact same score.

It would certainly be easier to have every test be exactly the same difficulty and every raw score would always result in exactly the same scaled score. It just doesn't work that way. They run questions in experimental sections to attempt to calibrate each test. But test calibration is not an exact science.

(And the reality is that it's more complicated than this - it's not just others on the specific test date, it's the entire universe of tests taken over time. So the "take in when the Talent Search 7th graders take it so you'll score better" advice doesn't hold either.

College Board has published technical white papers on their process if you really want to understand it and are up for concepts like chained equipercentile linking and r-biserial correlation)

edited June 4
    · Reply · Share
  • lisa9521lisa9521 12 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited June 11
    @TheSATTeacher what about the June 2018 curve? I had read that was pretty harsh. Your opinion on that?
    edited June 11
    · Reply · Share
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher 236 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @lisa9521

The scoring chart for that wasn't released (to the best of my knowledge) so I can't say anything definitive about it in particular. I think my point stands: there are some more harshly curved tests now, but there are also plenty that aren't. Take the test several times and you'll be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • rhandcorhandco 4240 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Personally, not losing extra points for a wrong answer has inflated scores compared to the old days.
    · Reply · Share