right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Disappointing SAT results

2»

Replies to: Disappointing SAT results

• lookingforwardlookingforward 34073 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some of you are new-ish on CC and I want to mention this. On CC, longer term posters often advocate letting kids be kids, not making college goals overtake their lives, activities overload them and all of it shred their well-being, including confidence. I worry when I hear kids are spending, eg, 3 hours/day (plus reviews at home?)

There are kids aiming for tippy tops who thrive on multi-tasking, but that's just them. I understand, eg, that for many families, costs matter, that merit money is essential or that WUE discount at UNR. But the kids shouldn't suffer through the process. They shouldn't break. And we parents are supposed to be their first line of defense, the ones who pull them back when it's too much. They have lots of growing yet to do.
    · Reply · Share
  • thedreamydaisythedreamydaisy 154 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @lookingforward thanks for being the voice of reason! My husband and I just had a chat with our son about his SAT prep. We have told him that if he doesn’t improve over May that is OK and he will still have some options come decision day. He will continue some online practice after his class ends this Friday, but probably only an hour or so a week. And the August test will be his last regardless of the result. If UN Reno is not doable without WUE, then so be it. Right now Sonoma State is top on his list anyway and their average SAT is a 1040 which he has already surpassed by 50 points. He is feeling more relaxed this evening just knowing that we are proud of him no matter what.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34073 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Big hug to you and DH, @thedreamydaisy.
    I know it's hard.
    · Reply · Share
  • eld225eld225 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    UWorld can help with the math and Khan academy really work to bring up scores. Practicing past tests within the time limits could also help.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dinakar0130Dinakar0130 3 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    My son did Princeton as well as Khan academy tests in addition to some private classes for English and Math. He’s scored 1520 in first attempt for SAT. So, I am positive he got a better direction from the private classes and also got used to pattern of questions by doing multiple tests on Princeton review and Khan academy. Now, we aren’t sure whether he need to take SAT again aiming higher score or better to focus on gpa and focus on AP courses during junior and senior years.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5496 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "But the kids shouldn't suffer through the process..."
    This might be a pretty good summary of my biggest concern with the entire college application process in the US. We put our kids through too much stress.

I hope that the retake went better. I was torn reading this thread whether to mention that D1 had good luck with tutoring at a very small local outfit (I think that the entire company had three employees), or to point out that there are many very good SAT optional schools. One daughter had high SAT scores but only applied to SAT optional schools. This was simply because that is where she wanted to apply.
    · Reply · Share