right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I Take my ACT for the Third Time?

simplycm2020simplycm2020 2 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
Hi! As the title suggests, Should I take my ACT for the third time?
I took my first ACT December 2018, With a composite of 21.
English: 21
Reading: 25
Math: 16
Science: 23
I took my second ACT April 2018, with a composite of 28.
English: 29
Reading: 31
Math: 21
Science: 26
I want to aim for 32/33, as I'm looking to get into Tulane. Do you think it's worth it to take it again and possibly even recommend any study tips or skills to improve? Thank you!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I Take my ACT for the Third Time?

• socaldad2002socaldad2002 1207 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you want to go to Tulane, I highly suggest you retake the ACT especially since you last took it almost 18 months ago. By the way, I calculate your April 2018 composite as 27 (26.75). You really need to get the math and science sections up to have a realistic chance at breaking 30+. Tulane has become a very competitive admit at 13% acceptance rate and 31-33 median ACT. Remember, raising your ACT scores will help with all of your applications.

Two other points, Tulane is BIG on demonstrated interest so do everything you can to show you really want to go there. If you can afford it, maybe apply ED which will help your chances somewhat. Lastly, you should have a strong GPA, with rigorous classes to have any chance at all without a big "hook".
    · Reply · Share
  • simplycm2020simplycm2020 2 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    I miss-typed and my Math was a 24, and I took my ACT April of 2019. Thank you though!
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7605 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 1
    How do you explain the difference of 7 composite points between ACT tests taken 5 months apart ? The answer to this question may help you to decide whether or not to retake the ACT.
    edited August 1
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 672 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    If you want to get a 32-33 and go to Tulane (with a middle 50% of 31-33), then taking the ACT again would seem to be the only way to do that.

Just be aware that 3-4 points is a fairly significant jump in a few months.

I suggest searching this forum for preparation strategies and tips. It will be a lot faster than waiting for someone to post the same responses to this question - the test and prep strategies don't change that often.
    · Reply · Share